jb hunt buys swift

Discussion in 'Swift' started by chrisl386, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    That is like asking if it would be a bad thing if J.B. or Swift bought out (or forced out) every single trucking company in the U.S..
    Yes, it would be bad. Especially for the employees.

And how about the scenario in Demolition Man... Taco Bell was the ONLY restaurant left.
    How about if Walmart (or worse, Piggly Wiggly) was the ONLY store you could shop at?

There is something very good happening when companies compete in a free market system.
    And there is something very bad happening when everything is monopolized by single entities.
    Can you guess where each leads?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    No, it's not.

The sliding pay is to give an incentive for the shorter runs.
    Shorter runs involve a higher percentage of down time, and harder work in general - so they pay more to compensate.
    The longer runs are usually much easier, and average a bit more pay per day even at the lower cpm rate.
    But let's face it. Doing more work (shorter loads, more stops...) deserves more pay. Just as doing more work (flatbed or tanker) deserves more pay.

In my view, it is a very good way of doing things.
    Instead of fighting for only the longer runs, I can take the short ones as well knowing that it won't hurt my bottom line that much.

If you really want a straight cpm for all loads it will hurt you in the long run, because there are always shorter loads that take a lot of time that need to be done.

And you, yourself, have caused many of those loads to fall on other drivers. (and visa versa)
    How many times do you t-call a load at a terminal (with very few miles left to the delivery) for your home time? Or you break down and have to repower a load with only 50 miles left?
    If there are not enough local drivers to handle the volume, the OTR drivers are the only ones that can make those deliveries.
    Ever think of that angle?

Personally, I like being paid more for those short runs.
    It is not to screw us. It is to help us.

4. Cody1984

Cody1984 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    Personally my view it is to pay you less for working more. In my opinion you should get the better pay regardless. That to me is screwing you over if you get put on a long run since if you divide the time up by how much you get paid on the short run compared to the long run you are get paid way less for the amount of time you put in on the long run.

5. James2016

James2016 Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2016
    JBH has about 16,000 Tractors Swift has about 22,000, if either bought the other they would eventually need a College Football stadium for Orientation

6. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Sure, but on a long run I am simply driving for several days. Much less work involved.

A 2800 mile run over a 7 day period vs. 7 350-400 mile loads. Which would you prefer?
    Or 15 much shorter loads?
    All that loading and unloading, scaling, strange hours, sweeping out trailers... - none of which is paid.
    You need to add all that extra time with the shorter loads to get a accurate figure.

But 2800 miles in 1 or 2 loads per week doesn't come with all that baggage. Just grab the load and go.
    Sleep when you want, take breaks when you want, and more time each day to enjoy oneself.

88 Alpha and SHOJim Thank this.
  7. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    It's true I went to the yard for truck wash and wheel polish job they always do at Swift yards. As I walked to dispatch office to get my dry cleaning done they had canary yellow cab overs with a box of chocolates waiting for me by entrance. I think I'll be a recruiter, trainer, lease purchase, and stock holder now!

8. Driver320

Driver320 Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Kansas
    JB Hunt-Swift will be the new name. Its true. I read it on the internet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.