JB Hunt carhauling?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by bamanation, Aug 23, 2018.

1. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I would not laugh this off. I have experience with JB Hunt, specifically their DCS division. They hire talent that knows the market they are entering, and do not enter without having contracts lined up. In their DCS they pay market rate, many drivers I know are making $65k plus on home daily drop and hook van jobs, with specialties like grain haulers, glass and elevator trailers making over 100k as company drivers.

They will model themselves after companies like Diversified, maybe even handle lot logistics, car pulling and more behind the scenes. They do not compete on spot market, they sign 3-5 year contracts with price controls figured in.

Overall as a trucking company look at their earnings report, think it was almost 13% last year. Not bad in a 1-2% world for most publicity traded mega fleets.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    If J.B. or any company pays market wages for the industry that’s fine. What I was joking about was paying an owner op in Chicago $125,000 a year and expecting them to live and maintain their rig. I realize that especially in the intermodal market they have been a leader. They inked one of the best deals with BNSF years ago to slots on the train. J.B. didn’t get this big by chance.

4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    I'd argue that at least the big three have yet to realize that!

He's done alright for a guy who started out hauling rice hulls for chicken litter, ain't he?

5. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    I've said it before but here goes again. JB is to the trucking industry what aids was to free sex.

6. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    I have zero clue how they will do, and I doubt they are going in blind without a plan, but the mega's have to have their hand in everything anymore.

BigBob410 and MagnumaMoose Thank this.
  7. MagnumaMoose

MagnumaMoose Lost or Missing

Jan 18, 2018
    Beginners luck. Harrumph ! I could have done that well if I would have had his beginners luck. It looks like I've been saving up mine for the final home stretch. Turning for home I might be able to catch up with the next to last also ran. ..... Jury's still out on that one though. Casket Maker might catch me before I get my finishing kick in.

BigBob410 and Hammer166 Thank this.
  8. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I certainly respect the man J.B. Hunt for his accomplishments. I remember back in the early 90’s when they were paying experienced drivers 46 cents a mile which was near union wages at the time. The problem is that like many other companies the pay has not kept up with the cost of living for many of their employees and those of their competitors. But their CEO’s pay has. That is not just with J.B., it is every where. Just another good reason to invest your money in companies you would never consider working for. Amazon comes to mind for me. Diversification is the key word as even if they bring the market down I can benefit sitting at home.

9. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I agree, respect for John Bryan Hunt the man, he earned his place. As for their wages not keeping up, they still pay above average for the segment they are in. Are these wages comparable to union LTL, no, but they are equal to or above average for the wages paid by the private fleets they have converted to DCS operations. I'd imagine their car haul work will be the same, not top dollar but not bottom of the barrel wage either.

Now, given that they were paying .46 back in the early 90's, they should be paying .80 or .90 today, reality is no one is for door swingers, and that is what most of their company is. Also, the JB Hunt of today is not the same company it was back in the 90's, Mr. Hunt is long gone and only one of his heirs is still active in the business.

Speaking of his heirs, that is their connection into the car haul business. His son J. Bryan Hunt, Jr. is on the board of directors but also owns at least two auto auctions as well as a dealership group. Here is Jrs. mini-bio.

Mr. Johnnie B. Hunt, Jr., is a Managing Member at I 135 Auto Auction, LLC, a Managing Member at 71B Auto Auction, Inc., a Chairman at Best Buy Here Pay Here, a Chairman at Global Dealer Group LLC, a Chairman at Progressive Auto Finance Corp., a Managing Member at Progressive Car Finance, a Managing Member at The Hunt Automotive Group, a President at Best Automotive, Inc., a President at Best Automotive, Inc. /Mississippi/ and a President at Bryan Hunt LLC. He is on the Board of Directors at J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc. and Habitat for Humanity of Benton County, Inc. Mr. Hunt also served on the board at Children’s Museum of San Diego. He received his undergraduate degree from The University of Arkansas.

I am sure that gives them some clout in securing car haul work. He has had a small private fleet for many years for his own auctions and dealerships.

10. bamanation

bamanation Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Muscle Shoals ,AL
    My brother sent that picture to me. It was also sent to him. Not sure where it was taken.

BigBob410 Thanks this.
  11. Auctiongirl

Auctiongirl Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2018
    2 years car hauling experience and flip-flops required

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.