JB Hunt Georgia Pacific

Discussion in 'JB Hunt' started by Mikem1961, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Mikem1961

Mikem1961 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2012
    york,Pa
    Had a recruiter call me asking if i was interested in working for JB Hunt on the Georgia Pacific account. Any feed back ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. huckstah

huckstah Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2012
    It's alot of driving between Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee, if thats what you're interested in. I live in Southwest Alabama and I probably see between five to ten JB Hunt trucks on a daily basis...all of them going back and forth between the Georgia Pacific plants in this area. If you want to run the same old routes day in, day out, then its probably a GREAT account. As far as job security goes, GP accounts would be an EXCELLENT way to go since JB Hunt has kept many of those GP accounts for 10-20 years. I can personally remember JB Hunt trucks going to our local GP plant everyday since I was 5 years old until the present (I'm 31 now). Very few companies maintain 25+ year accounts, so you have to respect that sort of stability if you're a family man depending on guaranteed consistent loads.

4. huckstah

Oct 25, 2012
    Also, I'd like to mention that JB Hunt is pretty good at keeping accounts open despite industry buy-outs/mergers/etc. Our local Georgia Pacific plant has been bought out and changed ownership atleast 5 times in the past 25 years, yet JB Hunt has always maintained their account with that particular plant. Thats a huge plus for drivers looking for job stability and security.

Ill finish up by saying that I've heard both good and bad about driving for JB Hunt. I think you can assume alot of that is just from disgruntled drivers, personal problems, etc. And I'm sure some of it is simply because of a lazy driver manager, and other minor issues that can happen at ANY company. I have known several people in my town that have been driving regionally for JB Hunt for 10 years or more, and will probably retire there. JB Hunt may have some problems, and their drivers will tell you, but on the otherhand you wont find many other large companies that can keep a driver there for more than 3 years, not to mention 10 or 20 years like some of the JBHUNT drivers!

5. Mikem1961

Mikem1961 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2012
    york,Pa
    I worked for jb before. Recruiter said i would run NC,VA,MD PA,NJ, CT, and some ME. No New york. Can take truck home. Just wondered if anyone had been on the account.

6. huckstah

Oct 25, 2012
    Wow, I knew GP had purchased alot of buy-outs in the past 15 years, but had no idea that they've got such vast operations in the Northeast. For a lonnggggggg time, they only had plants in a few southeastern locations. I knew they started buying out alot of plants in the northwest, but nothing like the scale youre describing. God knows, in this economy, you just cant keep up with who owns who, and by the time you got it figured out it changes completely again lol

7. ewill71

ewill71 Heavy Load Member

Oct 3, 2011
    mcgregor tx
    GP has alot of plants all over now.

8. Mikem1961

Mikem1961 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2012
    york,Pa
    Recruiter said i would run some loads from their plant in Big Island, Va..(Been there) and then run some warehouse loads of finished products. Like costco, sams club. Just on the fence if i want to go back on the road again. Im a jockey now at a local food distributor. To me thats not the same as trucking. There are some younger guys working there and all they want to do is park next to each other and chat all night while everyone else does the work. That drives me nuts. Georgia Pacific sounds ok so far.

9. ewill71

ewill71 Heavy Load Member

Oct 3, 2011
    mcgregor tx
    whats the radius of the account or is it OTR

10. muledriver

muledriver Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    I used to do a lot of big island for a different company we had two cabovers so we could run across 501 and load and unload the trailers and then bring them back to a local yard for the road drivers I never liked going to the place myself but the work is steady and there the biggest problem can be some of the union employees there depending on the day it would take 12 hours to unload three trailers they are buy appointment only now which has made it easier to get unloaded and if you are getting some good mileage runs it wouldn't be to bad a job .

11. Polky55

Polky55 Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Galion, OH
    I hate going to the Big Island GP!!!! :biggrin_25510: that's all I got to say about it. :biggrin_2559:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.