JB Hunt - Power Only program

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Hanadarko, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    The Power Only program isn't a lease though. No signage of JBHunt would be on the rig...besides the trailer of course-
    I have been looking at CH Robinson too. Still haven't made any decision.
    Rig is still at KW anyway...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    CH Robinson, to my recollection, doesn't offer anything like the Hunt program, but I could be wrong. I'm signed up with CH and get loads from them from time to time. I group CHRobinson with the other guys out there like Landstar, MCT, TQL and those where you can get loads from without signing on as a lease guy with them.

4. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    Yes...exactly that..:biggrin_25525:

5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

If you have your own authority why don't you get your own trailer and start calling brokers? You should be able to do much better doing that than letting JB Hunt use your truck. You can still broker loads through them, but there are those with much better paying loads. You may as well maximize your profits if you already have your authority.

6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

CH Robinson has power only from time to time. For the most part, you will need your own trailer. There are a lot of brokers around. It is difficult to make much money running your own authority without your own trailer. If you want to commit to any single carrier you would do as well leasing to someone other than running your authority.

7. Stringer

Stringer Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Colfax, CA
    HMM im an o/o with sni and i never sit, take home 1500-2200 a wk after fuel and ins, guess its just in how u want to run, how u work with your ICA and what you consider good money. yeah you can make more with your own auth and trl, but your costs go up too.. ive crinched the numbers and have done all aspects from co driver, o/o, own auth and trl, brokers, load boards, ch rob, ect... now im an o/o (not fleece op) with sni and i cant complain, i have to ask them to stop giving me loads

everyone wants something different and some guys feel better with thier name on the door.. guess as long as your happy and pay the bills thats all that matters :biggrin_25525:

scottied67 Thanks this.
  8. Stringer

Stringer Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Colfax, CA
    Rates are in the tiolet, even Landstar and mercer guys are hauling cheap ####.
    some guys have too much pride to lease on to a big company, they want thier name and door ect, thats thier right.... so then go out on your own, pay your own ins, posibly a trl payment, baseplates... not to mention if you have a truck payment too
    then tell me the xtra 15cpm from the load board was worth it.
    i never sit, never live load, Havent met one sni guy not making $ since being leased here
    we all have bad weeks, but i always make up for it with a heavy week
    if i cant live off 1500-2200 after fuel a week i need to pick another career or buy more trucks and hire drivers lol :biggrin_2559:

scottied67 Thanks this.
  9. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I run my own authority and make more than $0.15/mile than most who lease to a carrier. Even if it were only $0.15/mile, running 3,000 miles per week would net $20,000+ more at the end of the year. Other than the money, I like the flexibility that running on my own offers. There is a little more paperwork, but to me it is worth it. I don't think that everyone is cut out to run their own authority. I also don't think that everyone should be an owner operator. Some will be more successful driving a company truck.

Gears and Hanadarko Thank this.
  10. 3500DRW

3500DRW Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Katy TX
    Stringer, Life is good from your postings!! 1500-2200 after fuel and deductions?? I 'd take that. You say you're with Sneider? How many miles you run a week ,and what 's your hometime look like,if you don,t mind me asking.

11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

He said that those figures were after fuel, not all expenses. Depending on his expenses, he may not be making as much or more than a company driver. When you look at net, it is all costs. Fuel is your single largest expense but you also have other costs in running a truck. For instance, you need to consider your payments, maintenance, permits and base plates, insurance, etc., Fuel is only one part of the equation. I am not saying that he isn't doing fairly well, but without the other expenses, you are only seeing a small part of the picture.

You can have great cash flow and still go broke. It depends on how well you manage your expenses. There is much more to operating a trucking business than getting behind the wheel and driving.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.