JB Hunt - Power Only program

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Hanadarko, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    Not according to the recruiter. Full work/repair coverage on the trailer and while I can use the same repair facilities or service truck for my own rig, then I pay for it directly in that case.

Most of their trailers are 10yrs or newer for these runs. Again, thats what the recruiter says.....What if I get a dud? What if I don't have another trailer...? do I sit? -

All valid concerns man....and they are all on my mind. I opted to carry GL coverage anyway, it wasn't that much and with everyone wanting to sue lately, it probably is decent to have. It gets deducted too...

Thanks...:biggrin_25514:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    I don't see how this is a good deal for anyone that has their own trailer. The rates are just too low. They are pretty persistent though.

4. Hanadarko

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    I don't own a trailer (yet). Thats why I figured it might not be a bad idea just to get setup with them. Doesnt mean I have to pull for them though...but sort of like an ace-in-the-hole....

It's hard to even think of disgracing my W9 with a JB Hunt wagon behind it....:biggrin_25513:

5. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    Its not all about who's name is on the door or trailer... Its about profit at the end of day...

6. Hanadarko

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    Well can the words PROFIT and JB Hunt be used in the same sentence?
    Besides, it's just fun to poke fun....:biggrin_25520:...

7. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I can get rates that are 25%+ higher than what they pay and not have the added expense of paying for insurance that I don't need. If they got their power only rates up around $2/mile I might take another look at them, but for me to only receive about $1.40/mile and have to pay to insure their trailers and pay their general liability is NOT worh it. I could make as much or more by leasing to another carrier such as Landstar, Universal Am Can, or a number of other carriers. If you add in the fsc, you could probably make about as much with JB Hunt leasing to them as you could pulling their trailers under your own authority.

Hanadarko Thanks this.
  8. skeeter1371

skeeter1371 Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2011
    God's Country
    Right now they have a waiver for the trailer interchange insurance and the average rate is around 1.48 loaded. not too awful considering they pay all lumper fees and pulling their trailers

Hanadarko Thanks this.
  9. Hanadarko

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    This is why I have considered signing. GL is about $400/yr for me and I think it's prolly prudent coverage to have whether I pull for them or not.

10. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    You don't need general liability. If JB Hunt want you to have the general liability then they should be willing to pay for it. General liability primarily protects them. That being the case, they should be the one who pays for it. I don't think that I would be interested as long as they require the general liability, especially with those rates. You should be able to lease to a carrier and get at least as good a rate as what they offer and without the extra expenses of insurance and paperwork.

11. skeeter1371

skeeter1371 Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2011
    God's Country
    The GL will protect you, especally if you have O/O running under your authority and they do something stupid at a shipper or recievers yard. I guess it depends on how you look at it. To me its not worth dealing with brokers and chasing load boards or having to worry about paying lumpers or worring about getting paid on time. I guess it all depends on what your cup of tea is.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.