Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trafficcontrolxl

Trafficcontrolxl Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    Business model. Revenue generated vs cost of operating your business. Yes the truck payment is routinely the second largest cost for the single truck operator, following only fuel cost.
    So one of the perks of paying off a truck is that operating costs are dramatically lowered.

BigR, Alanp613 and Runnin Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    When you have it paid off and it is still in good shape resist the urge for that new truck smell. Take care of the old girl and roll around in the cash.

4. Captain Zoom

Captain Zoom Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Wow...just spent 4hrs reading the thread. Wow. Had to skip a bunch or I'd still be here when my truck comes out of Truck Hospital Monday. Lots of great info here; probably going to send in an app based on what I've seen here. Currently leasing from Dart...doing everything right (Idle time under 2.5%, out of route miles less than 5%, zero turn downs, two lates this year, PSP score is 18, no log violations) and still not making money I feel I should be making. Dispatch and planner (they sit next to each other) say they don't want me to run more than 450mi a day so I won't ever need a 34. Then next load requires my 62mph truck to run against the governor for two driving shifts straight...then I get yelled at when I need a 34 a week later. Told them I'm a team player, I'll play by the rules, but get yourselves straight on what the rules are. Was ignored. Sounds like JCT will work with you instead of against you on how you run...long as there's miles to run, I want to run them. Just don't get on my big, hairy butt about being HOS compliant. (Yes, I have butt hair. Don't judge me.)

BigR Thanks this.
  5. grannylane

grannylane Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2011
    in the south
    well, turned my truck in yesterday at jct in sapulpa,,i want everyone to know that i was treated pretty well on the way out,,trck turn in was quick ( i had it all cleaned out and wiped down,and no mechanical/cosmetic or electrical issues) btw if you are new or just coming on,,l2339a is in great condition and has 275k on itit gets 7 mpg at 60mph and 6.5 at 65,,try to get this truck!!!!!,,,anyway...new dm did try to talk me into staying,,,,,but no one else ever said a word,,(not that suprising),,,however,,the sign out was quick,simple and courteous,,rob handled the fuel card and permit book/prepass and delbert in the shop went and pulled a mech off another truck so i could get the post lease walk down done quickly and get to my rental car pick up on-time,,,also much to my suprise,,rob asked if i needed a bus ticket back home(i didnt) but he did spring for a cab to tulsa int airport,,,not expected,but was a nice touch, its a shame that it all came to this,but we all know that sometimes the dice just roll the wrong way,,best of luck to those of you still here or coming on board,,, don't be deterred by my circumstance,,it was great while it lasted (about 18 out of 20 months) but do wish me luck on my new lease venture,i start orientation Monday and will be on the road by thur/fri in trk 4249 black kw t660,,will give out company/details after 3 months of running there and i have an accurate assessment of there operations,and my profitability there,lbest of luck to you all here and as we used to say in the navy,,,"fair winds and following sea's"

6. Pete Moss

Pete Moss Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Phoenix,Az
    Hey Granny-How are you?I started following this thread a few days ago.Wherever this next adventure takes you,i hope it's the best for you.Take care of yourself.Brian

grannylane Thanks this.
  7. Captain Zoom

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well, tried to send in application on line, but something went wrong. Couldn't sign the release of info form and the app only had a tiny bit of space for employment history. Gonna call the recruiting line or maybe live chat tomorrow sometime. Will let you all know how it goes.

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  8. BigR

BigR Road Train Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Shawnee, OK
    The online app. only requires a small amount of info, the rest they get over the phone to get you pre-qualifed. Then you'll need to have your 10 year work history when you arrive at orientation, you'll fill out a regular app. then. Good luck to ya' hope to see ya' here soon.

9. BigR

BigR Road Train Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Shawnee, OK
    Sorry to see you go Granny, your post helped me alot in making my decision to come here. Glad they treated you right on the way out. I wish you the best of luck on your new lease. Let us know how your doing, don't be a stranger to the JCT thread, lol.

grannylane Thanks this.
  10. Captain Zoom

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks, Neighbor...gonna chat with someone there during business hours tomorrow and maybe expedite this whole process. Don't reckon Dart will be too happy to see me leave so soon after a major repair...maybe if it wasn't the 5,247th time.

11. Captain Zoom

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    The Wife-oid says she would be happier out with me in a truck with a little more room than a wore-out 660...maybe a Cascadia or Prostar with a Tripac. I like streamliners; they're a whole lot easier on fuel than the hoods, everything else being equal.

Jarhed1964 and The Challenger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.