Joab's Thread o' Hotshot Questions

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Joab Rynere, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Joab Rynere

Joab Rynere Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Alabama
    I figured it would be rude to keep highjacking the sticky thread, so I thought I'd make my own to keep asking about what pops into my head. You guys have been very helpful so far.
    So, today's questions who feel like answering...
    I seem to recall reading in a thread somewhere that DOT judges the trucks weight capacity by the axle and tire ratings, not on the vehicle manufacturers given towing capacity.
    Does that mean if I end up swapping out my rear axle at some point, and it has a higher rating, my truck rating can be upgraded at that point as well? What about upgrading an older trucks axles, say a 1992 F-350 DRW? Just curious on how all that works. No plans to jump into this gig with a truck older then 3 years personally. Plus the Cummings Aisin combo seems the most popular and reliable at the moment.
    Speaking of which, is there any great advantage to getting a Ram 4500 instead of a 3500 out the gate?
    Thanks again for all the help guys.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    They go by the manufacturer's ratings. There is a sticker on the truck and a strcker on the trailer. Your tire rating must equal or exceed your axle rating. Let's say you added a dual axle to a single rear drive truck, the weight rating on the truck would remain the same. They would go by the manufacturer's sticker on the truck.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  4. Joab Rynere

Jul 11, 2017
    Alabama
    Ahh, gotcha. Thank you for the clarification.

5. Joab Rynere

Jul 11, 2017
    Alabama
    Are there many folks still running trucks with manual transmissions for hotshot? I just saw today that Ram still offers a six-speed in the commercial truck line. How long are the autos lasting before needing a rebuild? Thanks folks.

6. GrableRnRHotShot

GrableRnRHotShot Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    I've been running 3/4 trucks for personal and business use for years. Since about 2010 on Most of these autos are rock solid. The ones in the fords from 2011+ are fricken amazing. Cant tear them up. The cheaper option in the dodge is crap but there aision is good. Then you have the Alison which is also fairly good. I hear and see more issues with the manuals now days from clutch packs wearing out.

Joab Rynere Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.