Job hopping...let my experience be an example

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Voyager1968, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    To those of you just starting out in this industry, stick it out for awhile (at least one year) before you look to move to greener pastures. At some point it WILL catch up to you.

For me, that some point is now. And here's my story.

I am a 20+ year trucking veteran with a squeaky clean driving record. No accidents. No tickets. No damaged equipment. No cargo claims. This past fall (12/01/17) I was laid off from a job I landed that I finally enjoyed going to. It was a local, no touch job running on a dedicated fleet. My layoff came when the company decided they didn't want to renew their contract with the customer. Being that they didn't have any other operations here, and are primarily a mid-western carrier, there was no other position to slide into.

During my layoff, I went out to visit my mom in Arizona, then came back only to have my father-in-law die on Christmas morning. So I didn't start actively looking until after the funeral and we got everything situated. Now that I'm putting applications out, every one is being declined. With a perfect safety record, you'd think they'd all want me on their fleets, but they don't. Why? Because of a long and lengthy employment history.

Now, I've never been fired from a job, so insubordination isn't an issue here, but I've gone through a lot of jobs trying to find the balance between life on the road, good miles, good equipment, good treatment, and having time with the family. Having all those things at once is hard to find, and I didn't know how to "suck it up" and deal with the shortcomings that each carrier had in one or more of those areas. So I'd resign and move on to the next one thinking the grass would be greener. It often times is not.

Up until now, I've not had a problem finding a new job, but at some point you hit that brick wall, and my time is now. I don't know now if I'll ever get another job in trucking, even with a perfect driving record.

Bottom line...It can and WILL catch up with you. Don't be me. Stick it out as best you can, even when at times you want to just turn in the keys and walk.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    What happened to the driver shortage?

First OP it is not you. It is probably not the multitude of jobs you have had. It is just unlike some in the industry lead you to believe, there is nothing even close to a shortage of drivers. Most employers can be nit picky as hell because there is such an abundance of qualified applicants.

4. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    I finally switched companies after my first 5 years and change. It gets easier after the first 2 years, ya get the newest trucks and best miles (YMMV). They started turning "corporate" and that was my cue to leave.

I'm the exception in this industry, but its not impossible.. On the other hand i know people with 2 years and 10 companies, resume lookin like a knocked over dumpster....

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If anyone has a bunch of jobs it will be me.

I have had no trouble generally with the exception that half the jobs on paper don't exist anymore. There is nothing to call, mail or check on. Poof all gone. Therefore it did not happen. lol.

I don't do corporate. Too much. I liked Owners who lease onto very large essential companies which freight is badly needed and no shortage of.

If somehow through a medical million dollar parts and I am back involved with this trucking, my history going back a minimum of 10 years will be completely empty. With one entry. Medical management of DOT related problems. Once they see I still have skills and not just a flat newbie they will toss a bone. But that is not going to happen. I'll find something else to do with my time.

6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    You raise a very important point. Last year I tried to recruit a very qualified owner operator to come lease on with my company. The sticking point was the number of different companies he had worked for in the last three years.

As my dad said, "Don't develop the habits of a quitter". A quitter starts looking for reasons to quit, rather than working through the problem to adapt or improve.

7. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    You might check with Jrayl, good luck to you.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    While that may be true about quitting. Let's be realistic here.

WE're talking about the trucking industry. And most jobs just aren't worth a crap to hang on to.

As for qualified applicants. Maybe for OTR with automatics. But not for local since they can't handle stickshift.
    STickshift drivers will get harder and harder to find.

Mattflat362, Toomanybikes, DTP and 4 others Thank this.
  9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    might be, they can hire 2 drivers for the price of one experienced driver.

could be age discrimination, that will never be proven however.

but if you see lots of younger people, that's a clue.

older workers will retire soon, so why hire them when they will not stay long?

older drivers will most certainly have medical needs, as they age.

10. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Ya this is true..

Sadly can't get a government subsidy for "new driver"

11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Where are you located?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.