Job offer

Discussion in 'Heartland' started by falcon241073, Jul 26, 2013.

1. falcon241073

falcon241073 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Germantown, TN
    I was offered a job with heartland in the Memphis area. I've read what little recent info there is on ttr. Should I assume since there is not a lot of post on here that's a good thing?

I have read the older posts but most are a year or more old. I heard the new trucks have inverters.

What's the current idle policies?

Breakdown, detention, layover, weekend pay etc...?

Home time policy?

I was supposedly offeted a dedicated run getting about 2700 miles a week and out over night home a night repeat with a 34 reset. So out three niggts a week. I verified the miles as they told me the stop cities on the route.

The recruiter answered the questions but I don't trust the recruiter as much as I would current drivers.

I ask these questions incase I leave my current job to go there to find out the slot was filled in the mean time and I have to go to regional instead. I did see the different pay structures between dedicated and regional.

I'm just nervous. I am relativly happy where I am but am looking for more home time if possible. Trying to take care of mom. I think I'd be upset if I quit my current job and show at orientation to be told I'm not on the dedicated run afterall. Is heartland known to do this?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    You're smart to do you homework. And you're doing it for the best of reasons....family. If its the right move,you'll know it in your gut. Which ever way you go, I wish you all the best.

Pete

Chinatown and vhughes Thank this.
  4. jlind

jlind Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Nature coast, Fl.
    I do not work there but my friend does, no inverters that he knows of, his truck is 10 months old and he is not even allowed to use one per company policy. He gets less then 1800 miles a week but does make a better then average mileage rate (for all the good it does) and gets home quite often, too much as his miles show! He asks for more all the time as he has a family to feed and bills to pay but it seems to fall on deaf ears, he runs southeast regional they call it I believe. If you got a dedicated you may do better I am sure.

Ask them to put in writing what they are saying and go from there, of course that wouldn't really hold up in any court and what could you sue for anyway??? Loss of prospective wage??? If you're happy where you are I would make sure you left on very god terms or maybe try to negotiate for more home time, some times explaining a situation may help.

Good luck whatever you choose to do, and make sure you'd be happy running a 63 mph truck on elogs!!

Puppage and futuretruckertx Thank this.
  5. yessir

yessir Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2013
    queens, ny
    I spoke with a heartland recruiter and he made things look beautiful to get me in and when i ask heartland drivers it's another story however if i was not happy where im i would just go for it for hometime and with the high cpm pay you can reach 1000$ gross every week and still have time to do whatever you want you don't have to kill your back to average that, new equipment, they will route you so they can buy the fuel where it's cheaper that's what i was told by some drivers and they will count your miles and your money that means as a company driver you can't average 1500$ a week that's why your miles will be well limited, just go for it if you can get in and go from there. Good luck and be safe out there

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Since you need more hometime, check with the food service companies. Might be home every day. Start with the grocery warehouse in Southaven, MS. I think Greatwide has that account. Usually, make your delivery, then deadhead back to the warehouse, then go home.

Another is US Food Service. There are several more; check Careerbuilder website.

7. falcon241073

falcon241073 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Germantown, TN
    I think my biggest issue is going into the unkniwn when I'm not unhappy where I am. I get treated fair and make good money. My fleet manager is cool and we get along great. But.... I want more home time other than two day every two weeks. I guess I could just keep lookin for the local gig?

Thanks for the replies though

8. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I am still with them, almost at the 4 year mark.
    Still running out of Columbus terminal for another week. Then moving to Tampa and swapping to another terminal. Not sure if it will be Jacksonville or Atlanta yet. My Terminal manager is making some calls to try and set me up well.

They put an inverter in my truck a month ago or so. 1200w. They are slowly adding them to newer trucks. Mine also has a bunk heater for winter.
    I am still averaging around 2000 miles per week, which is also my terminal average for regional drivers. We do not dispatch system drivers from Columbus, so it is all regional guys. Most are home every weekend. I am home every weekend by Saturday morning.

Heartland is a very regional company. All dispatch is set up by region and all contracts are run by region. So the average miles vary due to the region the driver is dispatched from. Also some dispatchers are much more proactive for their drivers than others.
    Most system OTR drivers are dispatched from Iowa. Though some other terminals have begun to have small fleets of system drivers.

I have no idea how things will go in the next month or so. On the 9th I take a weeks vacation to move and change terminal. I hope to still make close to the same money I do now, and still have every weekend home. If that occurs then I will stay with Heartland. If not then I will have to explore other options.

oh, on the pays.
    No Detention, I have never seen a dime of it. Lucky for me being detained is rare. Mostly drop and hook pickups. Some grocery, but allot of stuff that is fairly quick unload if not a drop.
    Breakdown pay is after 24 hours. And really low.
    Layover........ Ummm.....yea right. None
    Good mileage rate. Heartland is a regional short to med haul company. Thus they charge more per mile and can pay more per mile. But you will work for it.

Dark_Majesty_06 and OPUS 7 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.