JS Helwig Per Diem

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Walt NJ, Jan 17, 2017.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    They have connected dash-cam systems (forward) from what I understand but I've not heard they are driver-facing.

There seems to be a lot of people who conflate dash cam systems and driver-facing cam systems and it's a shame. There's a huge difference.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. canviskiller

canviskiller Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2013
    texas
    They're coming lol a story on their Facebook says they're happy to introduce them. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...martdrive-video-based-platform-300412289.html

"With the dual-camera configuration of SmartDrive Assurance Pro, the company gains visibility to the driving skills of its drivers and what is happening on the road outside the vehicle. The road-facing and cab-view videos optimize the effectiveness of driver coaching sessions, ensuring Benson and his drivers have positive, constructive conversations based on what actually occurred."

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Oh. And I now think I remember the incident that probably brought about this move [early September of 2016] ...
    https://www.thetruckersreport.com/t...ed-in-a-fatal-pileup-on-interstate-20.323268/

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 4.47.57 PM.png

All it takes is one idiot to ruin it for everybody else. SMH. What a shame. They were a great company to work for years ago but, I could not/will not ever live and work in what amounts to a jail cell where every moment is subject to scrutiny by "the man".

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    canviskiller Thanks this.
  5. canviskiller

canviskiller Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2013
    texas
    No doubt. I saw it pope up on my Facebook and i was quite disappointed. They just redid the yard and everything

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It's really amazing how they seem to always impart a "very positive spin" with the introduction of driver-facing cam systems. :biggrin_25523:

They piss on your leg and tell you it's raining.

7. Evomalo

Evomalo Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    My company has driver facing cameras. It's no big deal really.

8. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Technically it is M&IE, not Per Diem.

You the driver keep track of your partial days and full days. A Partial day is the return/leave from home time. So you return and then leave, you have two partial days.

Full days are $63 x 80%.
    Partial days are ($63x80%)x75%.

Note for 2016 the whole year is $63 in the USA and $68 in Canada. Normally on Oct 1st the IRS will publish the new rates since the Government Budget runs from 31 Oct of one year to the next year. So you can have two different rates

1 Jan - 30 Sep
    31 Oct - 31 Dec.

Your W-2 will not report the Per Diem you were allotted. You have to keep track of that yourself for your end of the Year Calculations.

You keep track of what the company is taking out.

At the end of the year you take what you are allowed minus what the company takes out. The difference you still can take.

No company will take out the full amount since they don't know what the full amount is. Most base it upon miles or load. The company is on agreement with the IRS on this "Per Diem" plan. The company pays less to the IRS for certain programs then since your taxable income is less.

IF the company takes out more "Per Diem" that what you are allowed based upon your daily full/partial days the IRS will terminate the "agreement" between Company/IRS.

So that being said the company will always take out less that what you can actually claim.

Page 6/12 of the IRS Pub covers transportation workers.

Note Turbo Tax calculates the formula a little different.

You take the Partial Days x .75 = full days.
    Add this to your actual full days to get a total of full days.
    Plug this number in and Turbo Tax will automatically take the 80% when it figures the amount.

Attached Files:

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I guess it mostly depends on what all sort of "driving rules" policies they decide to "monitor" now that they have the means.

10. Evomalo

Evomalo Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Mine has went off a few times and I have never been called about anything.

11. Doc W

Doc W Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Yup... $63 a day X 80% for full time away from home... just so you know :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.