Jumped back in!

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by jdchet, May 11, 2018.

1. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Well, the Mrs and I left NY to be closer to our son and his family in NE Ohio. After over 7 years off the road (yard jockeying) I was able to get a job with a medium sized flatbed company that my son was working for(see avatar). Surprised the crap out of me but what the hell! After 25+ years of trucking around the the northeast what a difference out here! Way more miles than back in the NE US but mostly easy miles! Home just about every night, good people to deal with for the most part. Gotta get used to the company driver deal! Always either drove for or was an owner op! Nice putting fuel in the truck and not giving a crap what the top number is on the fuel pump! And get points too! Best part is I was very pleased to see that I can, at 61 years old, still do the flatbed thing and do it well! Hope it continues to go well.

JD
    Former Yard Jockey

PS Yard jockeys can go from nice guy to ####### in 2.3 seconds and the ####### switch sticks! Trust me!

SOAthor, homeskillet, stwik and 8 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Glad it’s all working out for you.

jdchet Thanks this.
  4. AlexFromMD

AlexFromMD Light Load Member

May 18, 2015
    Congratulations on the new job! With 7 years as a yard jockey you’ll be the only flatbedder who can back into a spot at the truck stop in one shot!

5. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I think your average yard jockey is going to find that backing a spread axle behind a longer tractor is a whole different animal than playing with a yard goat.

LoneCowboy and stwik Thank this.
  6. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    @jdchet is and was, far from an average yard jockey.

jdchet and stwik Thank this.
  7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I don't mean to be insulting to the guy. I'm just saying that being a yard jockey isn't going to be as helpful at learning to back a full size rig as some people seem to think.

8. jdchet

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Geez, why do so many drivers fill their pants thinking about backing up a spread axle trailer?

JD

9. jdchet

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Drove spread axle flat for 20 years in the NYC metro area!

10. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    It's just different is all.

11. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    That's wonderful you moved closer to your son & the both of you work together. It was a joy for me I had to get my son to help me unload a load 2 weeks ago. God bless your family & the new memories. To the rest its not like your flying the space shuttle.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

jdchet Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.