June 2, 2009 Training

Discussion in 'Prime' started by shifty, May 29, 2009.

1. charlie240

charlie240 Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Kannapolis,NC
    Oh, I forgot..... study General Knowledge, Air Brakes, and Combination Vehicles. You can take others such as tanker but those three are the ones you must pass to get your permit.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shifty

shifty Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Conway, AR
    So when they say bring 150 dollars most of that is just for spending money?

4. CityBoy99

CityBoy99 Bobtail Member

May 20, 2009
    Dallas, tx
    Hey shifty hope the training is going well. Are you still in school or are you waiting for a trainer? I heard it was pretty packed up there a few weeks ago. Some people waiting 3-4 weeks to go out. Have things gotten any better. I arrive July 6th. Just would like a heads up on what to expect.

5. emton

emton Medium Load Member

May 18, 2009
    Hobart, IN
    CityBoy, I'm looking at July 6 also. We may see Shifty there as I hear he's home tcob with his blood pressure. I heard a lot of folks failed their CDL tests this week so instructors are scarce.

6. CityBoy99

CityBoy99 Bobtail Member

May 20, 2009
    Dallas, tx
    Hey emton I wounder what the problem is?? I hope we won't have the same luck, that just pushes everything back. But i'm sure we'll be fine.

7. emton

emton Medium Load Member

May 18, 2009
    Hobart, IN
    Too many wannabes? LOL

8. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Most of it ($100) is for your permit, and whatever else Prime charges you for. Once you get your permit, they'll advance you $240 that will come out of your first paycheck once you are hired - that's after you get your CDL.

However... it really helps to have a bank account that has money in it and an ATM card. If you want to do anything while in orientation or on the road... that will take money. There is an ATM next door to the Campus Inn, and another one in the Millenium building.

What to bring...

If you forget something, you can pick it up at the WalMart at Kearney and Glenstone - which is walking distance from the Campus Inn. There's a K-Mart across the street as well - the shuttle can drop you off there if you like. Honestly, this is easier than lugging stuff around on the bus.

A pillow. Extra clothes can substitute if you like.

A sleeping bag. Easiet way to hot bunk.

A bag to put your change of clothes and toiletries in when you go intot the truckstop to shower - if you've got them in your hands, everyone knows you're a newb. And a duffle bag for your stuff... no hard suitcases.

FLIP FLOPS - unless you enjoy terminal athelete's foot.

Whatever you need in toiletries... that better include deoderant. A small roll of toilet paper is a good idea as well - just in case you have to use a bush at a git-on ramp... beats the alternatives.

Extra socks and underwear.

A jacket, gloves and a warm hat - and yes, it is cold in a cold storage dock. Don't forget, you're going to be out in training for around 3-4 months which is putting you into the fall weather pattern. For those of you from warm areas of the country, it starts snowing in the mountains and north country in September.

A laundry bag. What else are you going to do with your poo-poo unides?

Work boots and a pair of sneakers. Unless you like wearing boots all the time.

Something to entertain yourself with... be it a book(s), a gameboy or a laptop.

txranger28 Thanks this.
  9. emton

emton Medium Load Member

May 18, 2009
    Hobart, IN
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shifty [​IMG]
    So when they say bring 150 dollars most of that is just for spending money?

Most of it ($100) is for your permit, and whatever else Prime charges you for. Once you get your permit, they'll advance you $240 that will come out of your first paycheck once you are hired - that's after you get your CDL.

I think they dropped that to $200 now.

Thanks for all the info on what to bring!

10. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...

However... it really helps to have a bank account that has money in it and an ATM card. If you want to do anything while in orientation or on the road... that will take money. There is an ATM next door to the Campus Inn, and another one in the Millenium building.

What to bring...

If you forget something, you can pick it up at the WalMart at Kearney and Glenstone - which is walking distance from the Campus Inn. There's a K-Mart across the street as well - the shuttle can drop you off there if you like. Honestly, this is easier than lugging stuff around on the bus.

A pillow. Extra clothes can substitute if you like.

A sleeping bag. Easiet way to hot bunk.

A bag to put your change of clothes and toiletries in when you go intot the truckstop to shower - if you've got them in your hands, everyone knows you're a newb. And a duffle bag for your stuff... no hard suitcases.

FLIP FLOPS - unless you enjoy terminal athelete's foot.

Whatever you need in toiletries... that better include deoderant. A small roll of toilet paper is a good idea as well - just in case you have to use a bush at a git-on ramp... beats the alternatives.

Extra socks and underwear.

A jacket, gloves and a warm hat - and yes, it is cold in a cold storage dock. Don't forget, you're going to be out in training for around 3-4 months which is putting you into the fall weather pattern. For those of you from warm areas of the country, it starts snowing in the mountains and north country in September.

A laundry bag. What else are you going to do with your poo-poo unides?

Work boots and a pair of sneakers. Unless you like wearing boots all the time.

Something to entertain yourself with... be it a book(s), a gameboy or a laptop.

A cell phone - and that doesn't mean Cricket.

If you have perscriptions, I suggest you get them transferred to a WalMart pharmacy. They are all networked.

11. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Wierd! It posted twice.

Also... get a wallet that has a chain on it. Worst thing that can happen on the road is for you to loose your wallet while you're half asleep taking a dump in a truckstop at 2 in the morning. If it's chained to you, you keep your stuff.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.