Jury duty

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Crazytrucker77, Jun 12, 2021.

1. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I have heard OTR guys usually get a pass since the job requires them to be gone all the time.

Or take the crazy route. Tell them the individual is already guilty. You are racist and hate gays. You wanna marry a dog. And you enjoy paying taxes. They will make a hard pass on you for sure lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    If you are a relative of law enforcement you won't be put on a jury.
    He looks guilty to me, got me out.

4. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    LOL!!

“Problem?”

5. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Ahhhhh... someone watches it too LOL

6. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    Like others have said: just contact the court and explain that your a long haul otr trucker. That you never know where you will be at any given date. It would be an extreme hardship both financially and logistically. This is nothing for them. What ever you do, Don't ignore it.

When it happened to me, I wrote the court a letter, They wrote back saying they would take me off the list.

Speed_Drums and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  7. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
  8. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    I have already wrote two letters explaining the situation and both were denied so I have to show up. I'm hoping to talk with a judge during orientation to see if they will let me off. Will see

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Which is why I suggest ignoring the "summons" unless it's an actual summons. One served by a process server is what makes it a legal summons. (At least in MI and TX where I have experience for both).

After the fact you let them know you received their "summons", well all I can say is either enjoy the experience or make yourself as disagreeable as possible. If it's a criminal case a simple "He looks guilty to me" or "He's (whatever race, including white trash) so he's obviously guilty." or the ever wonderful "The cops wouldn't have arrested him if he wasn't guilty."
    In a civil case it's a bit harder, just be inventive and make yourself as disagreeable as possible.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    If you are called for 1 jury trial you can try to weasel out but if it's what they call grand jury in NY it's hearing every preliminary case for a span of weeks and no prejudice is going to cut it because there's no way to know what will hit the pre docket list.
    Keep it simple and tell the truth

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    If it’s not registered mail they have zero proof of delivery. Everything I’ve ever gotten in the mail I’ve ignored. If they want me that bad then they can send it registered so I have to sign for it when it’s delivered. Also the “you have two weeks to respond”, well how do they know how often I come home and get my mail?

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  12. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    That happened to me to . just show up for jury duty and tell the judge or whoever is in charge of screening jurors when its ur turn to get on the stand. Tell them ur a long haul trucker and jury duty will be a financial hardship for u , since u had to come all the way across the country to attend

nredfor88 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.