Jury duty

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Crazytrucker77, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Ive heard its becoming more difficult to get out of it. I got called for grand jury last year, called and explained to them I was a self employed owner operator. She said no problem and removed me from the list.

Speed_Drums and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I got a notice of jury duty with a questionnaire to fill out and return from the United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas. I ignored it. Then they sent another one, certified mail. I didn't ignore this one. I was notified that I would be in the jury pool for one quarter, and I guess they didn't need me because I never heard anything else.
    Since I've been retired I was called to duty on a local trail for some guy that was charged with molesting some girls. I have the same last name as some outlaw types in the county so when the prosecutor got to me she sent me on my way. Pretty dumb for a defense lawyer to take something like that to trial around here anyway.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    When you get jury duty, maybe you should serve jury duty. How else can we believe in this justice system, if people treat it as unnecessary burden and too often with disdain. Imagine, a innocent trucker is on a trial for "neutralizing" a robber but in a way that a frivolous prosecutor did not like or he was involved in an accident of not his own fault hit by a drunkard but with a slight HOS violation and his family's wants to press criminal charges hoping to get rich. I mean, if you struggle to pay bills that's another thing but if you just don't feel like it, then remember Karma may be unforgiving.

Qbf594 and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    during the height of the pandemic last summer, i got a notice that for 1 year of that date, i will be eligible for jury duty.. it'll be 1 year coming up soon.

since i am retired, and take my naps at 10 AM and about 1 PM daily, i am sure my nap time will still fall on me during those hours, in the courtroom, jury room, or on any crime scene tour.

what are they gonna do..?? drug me to keep me awake?

Speed_Drums, TheLoadOut and Kyle G. Thank this.
  6. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    I would do it if it wasn't risking my business and way I make a living. I can't do a quick day run if not needed. The company I'm leased to doesn't run that way. My family and business must come first

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  7. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  8. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    And a reminder to never get charged with a serious crime.

you don’t want your fate to be decided by 12 people who weren’t smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Also you could tell the clerk you think you have covid.

show up with a hot forehead and they Probabaly won’t even let you in the building.

ive never been called for jury duty but my half brother and my father were both cops , so I’d get kicked off bu the defense attorney immediately.

you will also usually get kicked off if you have a college degree, especially if it’s in engineering or math , or any degree where you use logic.
    The defense lawyer doesn’t want any people on the jury who might be smart.

9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    My dad did that Lol when they were picking the jurors. It was some type of car accident case. He goes well all i see here is an ambulance chasing lawyer Lol. That was good enough to be sent home

JoeyJunk and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    great idea...!!!!!

[​IMG]

TheLoadOut and Kyle G. Thank this.
  11. reeferwrencher

reeferwrencher Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Having dummies on the jury can work in your favor to though,like it did for O.J.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.