Just a Rant!

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Bodhi, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Bodhi

Bodhi Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Unfortunately I live on Vancouver Island, so a lot of these local jobs are not available. I have looked at some of them, but I have also seen those dedicated runs to be night work. Might as well do long haul ... having a consistent night run is no different when it comes to not seeing your family.

As for out of province, I have been and still looking. So far I look at AB and Sask, but, sadly most of the companies hiring in Alberta are again these shady East Indian outfits.

One thing that I have noticed with companies that deliver to BC but don't have yard or parking do not hire folks from here. The biggest reason is insurance costs.

Oddly enough I had a recruiter from Triple Eight contact me, but I have heard some shady stuff with them as well.

Cheers

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Can't be worse than a drama teacher.
    I wrestled with Bret and Owen back in school.

Long live Stampede Wrestling!

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. skipgears

skipgears Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    Island is for the newly wed or the newly dead, so .. if you ain't one of those maybe should relocate to a better economic region. I don't know anyone moving to the Island looking for job prospects, they go there to retire or start a family or something, run around naked in the woods, etc ..

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  6. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Maybe try Teams Transport out of Winnipeg. There’s a YouTube vlogger (Trucker Ray) who used to drive for them. He lives down on the mainland.

It’ll be tough finding carriers to get you over to the island. Might have to park as close as you can and board the boat yourself.

Trappers Transport has been very desperate for drivers lately. They might be willing to work with you.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  7. Bodhi

Bodhi Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Vancouver Island, BC
    LOL you are soooo right there, 100%!!!

This is also why I am getting into driving, more job security and get me off this dam island! =)

Cheers

8. Bodhi

Bodhi Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Thanks for that, appreciate it. I do have a couple leads in Calgary and one in both Saskatoon and Regina. The nice thing with that is I am then able to just fly back and forth for now.

Cheers

9. Phantom Trucker

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    QUOTE="Bodhi, post: 10753758, member: 293019"]Thanks for that, appreciate it. I do have a couple leads in Calgary and one in both Saskatoon and Regina. The nice thing with that is I am then able to just fly back and forth for now.

Cheers[/QUOTE]
    Nice. Best of luck to you.

10. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    I work with Trucker Ray at IHaul, TEAMs used to be a decent outfit, now it’s a bottom of the barrel scraping immigrant slave driving ####hole; run by farmers who don’t give a ####.

Ray and I both agree (we’ve worked for most of the big companies in Canada between the two of us, except ERB) that IHaul is about the best, and if we can’t work here; we’re done OTR.

Triple 8 is a disaster man, they also have cameras. Trappers is desperate, cause no one will work for their slave wages/free anymore. I don’t think I know anyone who worked there, and didn’t take them to court over not getting paid.

Key West (Based in Langley) is rolling hard in the Western US, new equipment, guys seem happy.

11. Phantom Trucker

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    I agree, most of these carriers aren't the greatest, unfortunately due to his situation, he doesn't have too many to choose from until he gets a year or two of recent experience.

12. reeferwrencher

reeferwrencher Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    You could try dressing up like Justin and you might get a call from some Toronto area company.

13. Ol'Shusquatch

Ol'Shusquatch Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2019
    BC Interior
    Or set up a company to administer and distribute federal funds to various entities.
    Also as a gesture of being a perfect good will ambassador, you can then hold various functions
    and invite Trudope's wife and mother to attend as motivational/inspirational speakers.
    Sounds like a promising niche business opp.

reeferwrencher and not4hire Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs