Just about done with orientation. Almost time to roll!

Discussion in 'Melton' started by Triad, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Triad

Triad Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Well, three out of the four days of orientation here at Melton are done. Notes to take home:

• Lunch is early, at about 10:15, but they order your choice from a few items from a really good pizza place. I highly recommend the meatball sub. So much cheese!
    • I already knew the basics of securing, but forgot quite a bit. The giant Melton securement manual will be handy, particularly stuff I've never done before... Which is anything that isn't coils.
    • Tarping isn't as hard as I thought it would be, just a bit time consuming. Keep the wind out! They are a bit heavy, though.
    • An expected class of 12 turns in to a class of 5 really quickly. The same class of 5 turns in to a class of 2 almost as quickly.
    • Chains are still cool. 4" straps are also cool. I genuinely enjoy messing with that stuff.

More to come! I already know what truck they're going to give me (a relatively new Freightliner Cascadia with an automatic transmission and a Detroit Diesel under the hood and enough room to seat a family of four for dinner inside) and they say I'll have a load on Friday morning. My next report will be from the back of my truck with the APU running and a bag of chips.

jomar68 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GITRDUN45

GITRDUN45 Heavy Load Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Happy for Ya!! Congrats and stay safe and keep the tires rolling and make that $$$.

Triad Thanks this.
  4. dennisroc

dennisroc Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea

Can you tell me why the class ended up with 2, were people getting sent home and for what.

Do they require experience or does having a CDL get you hired.

Also can you tell me about the pay and are all trucks automatic :(

5. Triad

Triad Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    The other guy I'm my class is straight out of the CDL mill. He'll go with a trainer.

Pay is based on experience. Mid-30s CPM I think for student hires.

Most the trucks are 10 speed Kenworth T660s, but I got lucky and got one of the few Freightliner autos. I didn't think much of automatics before I drove one myself, but they're very nice, easy to drive and comfortable. Control isn't too big a problem since you can also change gears manually if you need to drop down for a hill for example. I can't wait to try over the road life with an auto, myself!

12 people were scheduled for the class. Only 5 showed up. I know why 2 of the guys left (melton doesn't tell us, of course for privacy reasons, but I talked to the guys personally) but I don't want to disclose that stuff without permission. But they were pretty standard reasons.

6. GITRDUN45

Sep 30, 2013
    All orientations at all companies like that. Applicants lie on their apps or forget something and they the company will find out. Or they failed drug test or physical. usually 80% that start O usually get sent home. Make it a day past drug test and physical it's most likely your hired and haven't found anything bad on ya. I don't work there but no idea on pay but I hear great things on melton. If i ever went flatbed I'd head over there. Anyway good luck. Sounds like you made it. be proud and go run run run and be safe. Going to be an exciting first year for ya.

Triad Thanks this.
  7. Triad

Triad Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Columbus, OH

You got it on the orientation drop offs.

So far, Melton is treating me better than the other folks I've driven for. The pay is definitely agreeable and it sounds like freight is moving nicely right now so I'll have plenty to do.

GITRDUN45 Thanks this.
  8. OzzyOKC

OzzyOKC Light Load Member

May 29, 2010
    Durant, OK
    Congrats and good luck! I was a fan of automatics from day one when TransAM showed one off at my school. When you're sitting in traffic and your foot is getting tired from using the break pedal, ya just wonder how tired those guys with clutches are.

9. Trucker Paul

Trucker Paul Medium Load Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Westland,Mi
    Well I know the truth about Melton and it isn't good. I've never worked for Melton and never would. I you the best and hope ur experience is good.

10. Triad

Triad Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Never worked for them but you just happen to know alllllllll about 'em, eh? Sounds like the sort of thing you hear at the counter in the truck stop restaurant. Are you willing to tell people what it is you know or is it a secret?

11. GITRDUN45

Sep 30, 2013
    LOL Funny you said that cause I not even 20 minutes ago got on their live chat on their website and asked who developed the Driver refreshment program stated on their website. Lady couldn't answer the question. Cause we both know that person probably some young kid that has never driven a bicycle on his own ,do well have driver experience. I wanted to know what or whom says you have the experience MORE THAN THE GOVERNMENT OR STATE OF FLORIDA to decide weather I'm a good driver or not? Just curious. By no means bragging here but I'd put my money and talent (that i haven't lost and recently tested) that I can back, shift, drive, use qualcom :) and even logbook as well as their best driver, if not better. All you experienced drivers with 20 years of driving everything except tanker please chime in. How would you feel if you took several years odd road and some kid tells you need 6 WEEKS with a trainer? SOMEONE Please tell me ..... Has the interstates changed (in last 6 years)?? Has the speed limits changed?? Has the freight changed?? Has the legal weights changed?? Has the 5th Wheel and trailer tandoms changed how you adjust the weight? Do the doors on the trailer swing open and close the same?? Has the rudeness at recievers changed?? :) So like Melton and all rest companies are telling me they know better sitting at a desk and making up retraining ideas?? Far as HOS thats easy to read changes. Besides i read them on here all the time so I know them anyway. To al those that can hear me being P***** off!! Let me hear a H*** Yea. :) Thats my story and point and I'm sticking to it. Signed peeeed off in Florida.

Johnjohn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.