Just bought a new truck question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Nicknice, Nov 29, 2020.

1. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    No, not yet. I went through the scale on I-10, and they waved me on through.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nicknice

Nicknice Light Load Member

May 10, 2014
    I see. I will be making a call tomorrow to see about the trailer and texas plates for the truck. Sitting around isnt making money. How long has it taken to finally get your irp approval?

4. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Almost three months. But there were issues. Maybe because I'm the idiot, or maybe because the TxDMV is the idiot, or maybe a mixture of both. (but heavily leaning their direction)

I got the carrier packet, and read through it. Looked like I needed an account number to be able to fill it out. So I called the apportionment people, and they said to fill out the last page, send it in, and they would create the account for me. Then, I would be able to fill out the rest of the packet. So I did that.

Fifteen days later, I get an email back saying I needed to fill out the whole packet, and "we've attached it again for your convenience". So I replied saying I was told by them over the phone to fill out just the last page.

Fifteen days later, I get an email back saying I needed to fill out the whole packet, and "we've attached it again for your convenience". I'm boiling over at this point. So I get everything together to fill out the packet. My warranty deed for my house, yadda yadda yadda. I went through the entire packet, filled it out, and wrote on a second piece of paper all my questions. I called them back, and went through my questions line by line.

Turns out, you don't need the account number, fleet number, and quite a few other things. The box for "original new purchase price"....yep, not needed. I explained how I do use my residence for controlling the business, but it's not "staffed during the week", and they explained that made me "section 310", instead of 305.

So I emailed them the completed packet, with about nine other attachments. Warranty deed, title to the truck, driver's license, etc.

Fifteen days later, I get a reply saying I needed a Commercial Lease Agreement, since I have an LLC, but the truck is in my name. And OMFG, my LLC doesn't include my name suffix. (I'm the third, so it didn't say "III" at the end of my name) So I got OOIDA to send me their generic lease agreement, and I filled it out. I also got with the people that formed my LLC, and had them make a name change amendment.

Fifteen days later, I get a reply saying to send them a cashier's check for such and such amount, and FedEx Express it to their address with a return shipping label that shows me as the To and From. Now FedEx scratched their head at that. I guess they can't just create a return label out of thin air, and if they try to game their own system, it would cause the package to get mailed to my house. So that's where I'm at right now. I sent the package Friday, and it should be there tomorrow at 10:30 am. At which point the DMV person is supposed to call me and explain the particulars of keeping track of fuel crossing state lines for IFTA, and then they will mail me my license plate.

Now the cashier's check didn't have my suffix of III on it, and it also wasn't made out from my LLC. So judging by how smooth this process has gone so far, I expect them to send me another email in fifteen days about how I need to have the cashier's check made out from a bank account with my LLC on the check!!!!!!

I'm heated just typing this.

5. Nicknice

May 10, 2014
    Thats the exact scenario im trying to avoid. Took almost 3 weeks to get my application for title to the truck so i can see im headed in that direction.
    I feel your pain. Im actually angry just reading what your going thru because im sure its the norm as opposed to not. The carrier packet doesnt explain #### and calling their number always has someone on the line who doesnt sound sure that they are telling you what you really need to do. I called on speaker with my finace and she didnt understand a single thing that was explained.... Neither did i.
    Im going to call ooida tomorrow, the dmv and probably either do the same thing your doing or just go INTRASTATE until i have it done and switch up to interstate. That seems to be what most people wish they did when they first started.
    How have you been doing with just the temp plates? They are only good for texas... Correct?

650cat425 and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  6. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Yes, only Texas. I just go here to get the temp plate. Takes like two minutes, and you print out the plate and the receipt. And yes, you can call them three times in a row, and get three different answers in a row. This entire time, I've felt like I was the first person in the history of Texas to ever apply for IRP.

joseph1853 and 650cat425 Thank this.
  7. Nicknice

May 10, 2014
    What do you haul? And are you under your own authority?

8. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Did you go full LLC and all that stuff, or sole proprietor? I'll help you as you go, if you have questions about the packet. No sense in two people banging their head against a wall.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  9. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    General freight/new household goods. Just regular flatbedder stuff. Yes, I have my own authority.

Also, I'm headed to bed, so I won't be able to reply until tomorrow if you've got more questions.

10. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    My IRP was pretty quick. I did call them on phone while I was filling out the paperwork and ask them specific questions to ensure I had everything correct. Included what felt like 15 pieces of ID to ensure they couldn’t say I was not a Texas resident. (One thing I have learned in Texas is they tend to go right for after your documents to disqualify you vs hunt to qualify you. I also hand delivered my documents to them at the regional office. It was a bit over a week I believe.

The killer thing for me is the IFTA, yes you do need apportioned to file For IFTA account. What sucks about Texas comptroller is they seem to be on their own island somewhere in the South Pacific as they are slowwwwwwww. I saw on here someone was waiting for about 2 months... I need to count my days as I may be close to that. The lady at office says they have been flooded with new applicants and well of course COVID. I am still waiting for them. The sad thing is (and I realize IFTA is a bit bigger than individual states) but I got my stuff done for Kentucky online in minutes, NM and even NY (hell I may never go to Ny) was also in a week.

Did you already file for your Texas truck Title? It will need empty weight and Texas DOT inspection. Save the application as it is needed for apportioned
    They do need empty trailer weight and Texas DOT to get trailer plates also.

I have been told all you have to do is transfer title on trailer and tag it as it does not need apportioned plates.

As far as anything I can help you with don’t hesitate to message me also. I have asked God Prefers Diesels a few questions and gotten tremendous help from @blairandgretchen and @zmster2033

11. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    My LLC was also rejected because I did not put LLC after the company name... I mean I applied for LLC, I thought that was a given. It took 3 weeks to figure that out... I found if you file online it is much faster.

Something to take into consideration is Texas Comptroller also does IFTA... so yes... I read some of the IFTA application questions to friends and they were like WTF... lolol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.