Just getting started

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Kevinbj, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Kevinbj

Kevinbj Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Hi guys I've almost on my way to start my car hauler business. Nervous & excited I have ford f450 dually and in two weeks have 4car carrier. I have got my commercial insurance, BOC-3 , UCR, and registered for random dot drug test. Do I need to register IFTA, IRP, New York highway use Tax (if I drive through there) anything else? Thanks again

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NuCar Carrier

NuCar Carrier Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2016
  4. Kevinbj

Kevinbj Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I was hoping to get customers from dispatch if that's what you mean?

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  5. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    I'm just asking here so don't think I am being a smart ###, but I am assuming a new F450 is 60,000? and a new 4 car trailer is, 25,000??? What I am getting at is 85,000 plus invested and not one idea of who you are going to call first? What that load will pay, and what your operating expense per mile will be???

If you have previous experience and have an idea what these costs and answers are then no issue, but if you don't I think you just took a real leap of faith.

To answer your question your IFTA, IRP, and NY permit are all contingent on what you gross, with a 4 car you will need all three.

6. Kevinbj

Kevinbj Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Hey none taking.. I don't think I was asking who to call or where to go but I have ideas on things but that's why it's a forum cause others have idea also.. I may or people told me central, car Carrier.com etc but you may know of 3more or may say go to your local car port get twick card just doing research and trying to talk to people instead of just reading what the people that want your $$ suggests you do. Trailer cost $14k truck you are correct on.

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  7. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Is this a joke? Have you ever hauled cars? Where are you based out of?

8. Kevinbj

Kevinbj Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I have helped haul cars but just trying to get my own business up and running, I live in Maryland/pa area. Why would this be a joke cause I ask about IFTA? Or because I have a question? It's that what the forum is for?

9. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    No, sorry, it is just odd that you would be asking these questions if you have been in this business for any length of time. Especially regarding IFTA.

10. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    What exactly have you done in this industry? You stated "helped hauling cars"? What does that mean? What exactly is your experience? I have hauled cars, as an OO, so just asking.

11. Kevinbj

Kevinbj Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I have help my friend wasn't getting paid, load and was a passenger as he hauls for copart.. I been wanting to do this for about 4yrs so after saving and research I have got my truck trailer is ready for pickup in NC, paid my insurance,dot,mc but nothing but you experience guys can give advice on apps, brokers the does don't. I'm definitely not pretending like I know ALL and this is my first adventure with my own business so I'm basically asking for tips advice so I can avoid so of the mistakes people have made. But I went to my DMV and 3 people that work there told me different things about me needing IRP. One said trailer truck under 26k so no other said if you include load it over 26k so yes so I figured come to forum and get some answers and knowledge from other people besides just what my buddy is showing me.. take ideas from from 10 different people and make your own way out of that. All I'm doing is trying fellas it seems like people wanna shoot your head off cause you asking questions

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.