Just got approved at TMC

Discussion in 'TMC' started by P3anu7, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Ridethelightning

Ridethelightning Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Baltimore,MD
    Good luck cplmac2 I'm here in Iowa also. I've only finished 2 days so far I'm supposed to be on load securement starting friday. But I really like it so far.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cplmac2

cplmac2 Heavy Load Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Watford City, ND
    My roommate is in you class. Good luck, just do well on the tests and try not to break to many rules. George is a riot, Don not so much. Behind the wheel for those that make it that far is a much more laid back training segment as would be expected. I will say this, for all the bad press TMC has been getting lately their orientation really is VERY good and very thorough. I've been impressed the whole way through with the perpetual cram session, the rules suck and are basically their as a nuisance more than anything else but it's only two weeks and you will learn a lot whether you want to or not. Like I said earlier, the tests are easy, the grading scale is not. Make sure you do well on the tests.

Wolfpack Thanks this.
  4. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    I still believe that TMC is a great company. There have been several forum members who did not have good luck, but keep in mind that there has been a vast increase in the number of forum members applying at TMC. Before November 2008 I did not answer more than one TMC question a week on average, lately there are several per day.

5. LoneSheWolf

LoneSheWolf Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Wise,Va

i kinda know how you feel .last march i went to super service in ky did the physical and the urine test but couldnt produce enough urine in the cup ... they sent me back home said if i cant get into see my doctor in 5 days that they was gonna report to dac as a refusal. Sure enough i went to jb oreintation and the last day there i was sent home due to the refusal on the dac.so back to starting point A .Jb recreuiter said you can go thru a SAP program i said i cant afford 600.00 dollars .Plus going thru that is like your admitting your guilty of something you have never done in your life ..So I seriously thought bout acting insane and trying to get disabilty lol would be alot easier then tryin to figure out how to remove this from the dac report...... Tina

ok yeah im finished ramblein for now :biggrin_25516:

6. cplmac2

Nov 10, 2008
    Watford City, ND
    Day 10 in the books.
    Today was another good day of driving, "city" driving through some of downtown Des Moines which was nice, there are some really cool buildings in Des Moines. We also did more yard maneuvering, drop and hook and more simulator. I had a good day behind the wheel but we had our sit down with the road training instructor Joe. He is about as level headed and easy to get along wth of a guy as they come. So are all of the behind the wheel trainers for that matter, to a man they have all been really great to learn under.

Unfortunately I seem to have hurt some feelings in the classroom training. I was told George and Don both consider me a question mark on following TMC policy despite the fact that I have spent 10 days here under some pretty strict rules and never broken one of them. Fortunately I'm acing the driving and A-B'd my way through all of the classroom exams, I would hate to get sent packing over petty personality conflicts. I'm really disappointed with George, I enjoyed his class very much and never gave him any reason to say something like this. I am not however even remotely surprised to hear this from Don, I just wish he would have been man enough to pull me aside and tell me there was a problem rather than letting it hit me through the computer days later. I spoke with him during a break during load securement training to explain something he was teaching that was wrong. He was not happy of course and I explained to him THEN that hey you are the boss and I'm driving TMC gear, I'll do it however you want me too. It wasn't even that I was argueing that what he was doing was wrong as far as load securement, he was just explaining some geometry that was wrong.

Folks if you are going to TMC orientation take this advice to heart; shut up, let other people ask the questions, take notes, pay no attention to things that trip the BS meter, and do NOT under any circumstances let the first 7 days of orientation discourage you. I've been pretty pissed all day about this nonsense with my apparent "problem", but in reality I'm doing very well and I'm gone in two days. Looks like my trainer is about 150 miles from my house as well, which seemed like a pretty typical number. That surprised me since I'm from Chicagoland, I would have expected a LOT of trainers to come out of that area.

7. cplmac2

Nov 10, 2008
    Watford City, ND
    Day 11 in the books.

Today we did our final yard maneuvers, 90 degree backing, simulator and our final road driving. Nothing particularly out of the ordinary today, tomorrow we check out get our gas card finalize our trainer info and get the hell out of here. I've been really impressed with some of the instructors here and how much you can learn from them if you really open your ears and listen. I've also been really impressed with how petty and vindictive some of the trainers can be. I'm anxious to move on, I'm expecting my time with the trainer to go smoothly.

8. trucker josh

trucker josh Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Michigan
    I made it as far as you man. Good luck, and hopefully they don't do you like they did 2 guys in my class.

Friday Morning we thought we made it, we all cleaned all the trucks we trained on for the last week. We got to the classroom and were about to get a rental car assignments and get hired on, and they pulled 2 guys out and fired them. The reason? No one knows, but spectulation was they were the lowest in the class.

So pretty much keep your head up, and power through it. Don't get an attitude with anyone, and GIVE 100% Effort always.

Maybe after the economy picks up, ill call Dean and see If I can get hired back on. Since I was let go just because of where I lived.

9. cplmac2

Nov 10, 2008
    Watford City, ND
    Dean is my training coordinator. We did the truck cleaning this morning and signed our DOT cards and our "TMC approved driver" cards and we were issued our temporary COMDATA cards. We still have to go back after lunch and sign our release paperwork. I'm fully expecting George to pull me aside and let me go, not that my scores were bad but he obviously has a problem with me as does Don. I can't wait to get the hell out of here, I'm supposed to get a call from my trainer this weekend and head out by Monday. I have another job lined up just in case, but I'm optimistic that on the road this will be a totally different environment. I'm done talking with instructors short of "sign this" etc. so hopefully there is no more drama.

P3anu7 Thanks this.
  10. P3anu7

P3anu7 Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Trinity, AL
    Well if it's what you want cplmac2 I for one hope you make it buddy. I'm glad to see

you're thinkin' ahead just in case:biggrin_25525:

11. dr5169

dr5169 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il
    Seems like there is so much drama at TMC.....seems like alot of arrogant instructors....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.