Just got fired....now what?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by lutzman, Aug 7, 2020.

1. NoisyBoy

NoisyBoy Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Denver, CO
    What a joke !!!! friends in safety at CRE ??? You act like he had a rear end accident or took the hood off of a Pete. CRE isn't exactly know for putting safety first. And didnt they acked the FMCSA to allow their drivers with Cdl Permit to driver without a licenced Cdl holder in the truck?? How about thier Phase 1 and 2 training more like Phase 1 and 2 team driving, with the so-called in the bunk sleeping with his mouth hanging open whlie the inexperienced rookie drives with nobody actually training the drivers. Three bunk truck

Western flyer Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    It's not so much the right to fire as it is having a reason. The trick is the Union CBA. Outside of this, violating company policy is enough in almost every state, and even with a CBA violating company rules and policies will do it!

NoisyBoy Thanks this.
  4. lutzman

lutzman Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Hey Moose--If you were starting over, would you advise a young driver to have a longer term goal of becoming a owner/operator...say 3-5 years from now? If so, is there any advice about the things to learn and focus on now that will help move toward that goal? Or, maybe that's the wrong goal and I should be thinking about building a driving record that will enable getting hired with a strong company that takes good care of their drivers? Thoughts?

5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    My reply most likely won't make any sense to you! Total honesty here! I never aspired to be an OO and to be honest I never had an interest in doing so. I have the utmost respect for those that do.SO, that being said my best advice is to hold off on ownership decisions for 2 or 3 years. In that time learn the ropes of this business. In fact, I suspect after a few years you will start to see for yourself what those answers are. I had a private chat with another newbie on this very subject a while back. I told him as I am telling you now. Go hang out in the OO forums and read the questions and answers there. There is a wealth of information in these places. However, I don't think you are ready to take that step just yet. Give it some time. That is the best advice an old company man can give you!

lutzman Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Become a member of www.OOIDA.com and start learning. I was never an 0/0, but was a member of OOIDA for 25 years, just for the learning experience.

Speed_Drums and lutzman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.