Just got fired....now what?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by lutzman, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @LoboSolo listed several companies to apply with in Post # 46.
    I listed three second chance companies to apply with.
    There's more also.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Star Transportation
    Lynden Transport
    Heyl Truck Lines
    Kold Trans
    Magnum Ltd.

LtlAnonymous and lutzman Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  5. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    OP, for the senior members here to properly help you you have to give them all the information. Don’t leave stuff out. Your new employer is going to see it and they’re going to use it to screen you and drivers here can help guide you what companies you might apply for, but you’re wasting your time if you’re leaving stuff out. For example, you say you had “two hard braking incident”. Well there’s hard braking incidents and then there’s hard braking and then there’s “ HARD BRAKING”

I’ll give you an example, you just emptied out your trailer and you come to a stop sign and you press down a bit hard on the break and you jump the truck a bit and it sets off the sensor. That’s no big deal. You’re driving down a back road somewhere looking at your cell phone and you look up and realize the car in front of you is stop and you stomp down on your breaks. Now that’s a big deal.

You also mention “two U-turns” I mean come on be more specific, were you in the middle of someone’s farm field? I’ve done all kinds of crazy U-turns to get out of situations and nobody cares. As long as I don’t damage anything or do it illegally, that’s actually good trucking! So there must’ve been something more involved with those U-turns you’re leaving out.

lutzman Thanks this.
  6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Several mega carriers have a zero tolerance policy for u-turns... Legal or otherwise. Knight is one that I kniw of that has this policy, 1 u-turn and you are terminated.

7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Yep, I got my months out of order! My bad!

8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Last night I took the time to make contact with someone I know that works for CR England. We spoke for about 20 minutes. They shared with me something I am not at liberty to disclose in public in general the circumstances surrounding the OPs firing. No, nothing about this OP, but these kinds of situations. I have addressed this issue many times in these forums. Unless you are on the "other" side of this equation like say @REO6205 or @Ridgeline you simply can only guess at the difficulty carriers have with regulatory and insurance compliance. Most of the larger carriers can NOT afford basic insurance, that risk is so large the actual costs to underwrite would be so high it would break the bank. This is why most self-underwrite. As a driver, you go pull a stupid and do several hundred thousand $$$ in damage, guess who pays for it? Not an insurance carrier, this comes out of the escrow's setup. This money has to be replaced.

When someone enters this forum and admits to being fired, then goes on to list item after item, things done in 10 MONTHS, not 10 years. When I read this kind of thread something inside me snaps. If you examine my posting history I have railed against this for years now. I admit it makes me angry! It makes me want to kick "UPWARD" not down! I want to rock that person's world so violently they "wakeup" and realize this is NOT a game. These roads are dangerous enough as it is. During my last 10 or so years driving, I started to notice how the basic infrastructure around docks and even terminals is becoming damaged. I remember once sitting on my tractor at a Walmart DC, about half asleep waiting on a Hershey live unload, looking at a fence and wondering how in the heck did that thing get hit? It makes no sense to me.

There have been several postings about the OPs "sins" being minor! Correct! They are! However, there are way too many such "sins" to justify in a 10-month span! As a previous poster CORRECTLY stated, some carriers prohibit U-Turns! Get caught doing one you can get fired. It is also VERY possible to have a pristine MVR and be a dangerous driver! This is why I don't place that much emphasis on a clean DMV as a defense when "other" items are present.

This OP will find another job. This cycle "merry-go-round" just keeps on keeping on. Until one day you find yourself unhirable even with "outlaw" express! I hate it when this happens. This is why I simply take the "rock your world" approach when I see this! If a driver can not learn how to do this job correctly take care of their equipment, make their deliveries and pickups on time. I rather they don't! That is just how I feel. I will never be accused of being politically correct either!

9. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Don't prime, england, schneider and other "slower" trucks run the west? I would not go that fast if i ran out west. Many reasons. Fuel mpg, tire wear, general wear on engine, drive line etc. When my truck goes to the hospital, i pay the bill. Running fast at least out where i go if you are driving fast there is always someone in your way. Or you get caught up runn'in with the pack.( 4- wheelers and trucks). A sure recipe for disaster. As for myself am not that interested. At one time i did. Now, not so much. See i get all my loads picked up and delivered on time with a whole lot less stress. Heard a person say once " its not how fast you go..its how you look on the way". But everyone has different opinions. Do what they want..i will watch.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    One time my truck was in the shop for an extended period, so the company put me in a truck governed at 62 mph. When my truck was finally fixed, I requested to keep the older 62 mph truck.
    Why? Because at the end of each driving period I was much less stressed and less tired. My paychecks stayed the same and all loads were delivered on time.
    I drove that 62 mph truck coast to coast. No fighting traffic or constantly changing lanes and hitting the brakes. Couldn't believe the positive difference.

11. lutzman

lutzman Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2020
    I appreciate your feedback.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.