Just got job at TMC!

Discussion in 'TMC' started by randy10786, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Duurtipoker

Duurtipoker Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Hagerstown, MD
    Good to see I'm not the only person who can make post-marriage life work without all the two bit bickering and tug of war with the kids. We set out with one goal in mind, do what's right for our daughter. Many people say it, few live it.

As for savings, no, not really. I covered what I needed to cover, and I'm not going in totally zero'd out. But I've been poor. I know how to live poor. I expect the next 8 weeks to be a reminder of those times and I'm ok with it. A reality check is good once in a while. After 3 weeks with no pay that 500/week is gonna feel like a lottery win! But since I have my most expensive commitments out of the way it'll do that trick.

From there, from everything I've been able to find and from the statements of others who work at TMC on these boards and others, even a bad weeks pay will be better than what I was bring home in the old gig. I'm not looking for the moon to start. It's just gotta be more. And right now, more isn't hard. Hell, the 500 weekly isn't much less after taxes.

Ed

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Duurtipoker

Nov 3, 2016
    Hagerstown, MD
    Aaaaand back to square one.

So I went to Iowa and participated in the first days events. 20 people crammed into the medical office for physicals. Then completed the "Tarp test" portion without issues. Spent the rest of the day in the classroom filling out forms and completing minor testing. Was told we were on the 4 o'clock bus back to the hotel.

At 3:40 I was called to speak to someone in an office. Was told I didn't pass the physical and I was on a bus home the following morning. 27 hours later I was home and trying to find out how to proceed. I called the medical office to get the particulars and they stated I had not failed the physical, but that I was placed in a pending status. They want me to have a sleep study because I fit a profile for sleep apnea. If I pass the test I will be passed and can then schedule a return back to TMC to re-start training. If I fail and need a CPAP I will have to wait until I have 90 days worth of data on the machine to proceed.

Fun stuff. I have to take an expensive test after I quit my old job and lost those benefits before I can be hired to the new job. I get it, I knew TMC was selective and that is one of the reasons I chose them. It's still frustrating since I did not go into this blind. I had already HAD a DoT physical in my home state of Maryland and was given a 1 year card, on the condition I have the sleep study within the next year. Since I wasn't showing signs of Apnea, just fit a general profile. Iowa however sees things differently.

So here I sit. I have my consultation with the sleep people on Tuesday and go from there.

I am beaten, tired and cranky. But I am not defeated. Oh no. Not by a long shot.

Ed

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. LONE WOLF TRUCKER

LONE WOLF TRUCKER Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2016

5. LONE WOLF TRUCKER

LONE WOLF TRUCKER Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Could you tell me if they do hair or urine?

6. bubbler

bubbler Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Southern California
    You can get your permit really easy at a CDL school without paying. My school was in class the first week and on Thursday we went to DMV to take permit test yet full payment wasn't due till the following Monday. 2 ppl in my class stuck it out till Wednesday, got the study guides, did the classroom work then went to DMV and passed permit test with ease

7. Iron Mover

Iron Mover Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Just curious as it has been a few days now. What did you decide to do? I understand people getting sent home because they fail a drug screen or whatever, but your situation is unsettling to be sent home for possible sleep apnea. So does anyone with a large neck or big body get sent home?

8. Duurtipoker

Nov 3, 2016
    Hagerstown, MD

It was the Dr that decided they wanted the test done. They go by neck size, over 17 inches, BMI, I believe over 32%? Maybe someone can correct me on that. And over 40 years of age.

If that's the case then TMC really has no choice but to hand you a bus ride. They don't allow anyone to go through training without their DoT card.

I completed the test the other day and my doc was pretty cool so they already gave me the results. Moderate case of sleep apnea. So on January 2nd I go in for the CPAP test, get fitted for the mask and calibrate the machine. Then it's 90 days of use before I can go back to training. They want to see 90 days of data on the machine to see if it's effective before they will issue a DoT card.

Ed

9. Detroit diesel 2000

Detroit diesel 2000 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2017
    You still working for tmc?if so how was training n company?

10. Detroit diesel 2000

Detroit diesel 2000 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Ok i have question
    Is the load securement class bad?you hear alot of people say the tarp test is bad?i want to drive for tmc so bad i have for awhile i remember when they had freightliner condos..i have a wife n kids to take care of n don't want to get sent home..im a hard worker n love trucks..if you could give me your feedback..thank you

11. Duurtipoker

Nov 3, 2016
    Hagerstown, MD

I was sent home for medical before the load securement class so can't answer that one. But I did complete the tarp test.

Can you lift 120lbs from the ground to your shoulder and carry it about 40 ft? Than you're good.

Don't just answer that question. Actually try it. One of the guys in my class was sent home because he couldn't do it. He just assumed he could I guess, which is kind of dumb if you're going to a training where you HAVE to do it.

Ed

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.