just got my CDL A and bought my own truck what all do i do to become a owner operater

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by piston757, Aug 17, 2019.

1. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Piston...share some photos!!!

piston757 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    While true, anyone that simply buys the capitol expanse of the industry and knows nothing of it is not someone with good business sense.
    Don't expect someone to buy a building to put a restaurant in with only ever seeing a restaurant from the outside. Said person should not be in the industry as once he fails it makes it harder on everyone that is succeeding.

In trucking industry someone like the op, all he will manage to do is lower, or at best keep rates low as he thinks more miles = more money. When in fact it's more revenue = more money. Getting the revenue correct is the hard part, and the part that screws everyone else has he is making it impossible to compete in the market.

4. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    I beat your odds. I had no experience when I bought my truck 9 years ago. It can be done with a paid off truck.

WAR Log, Dino soar, ChevyCam and 6 others Thank this.
  5. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    That is being pretty judge mental

How do you know he didn’t spend years listening to advice right here on this site and paid cash for the rig with $50K more sitting in the bank to operate on?

The answer is you don’t and neither do I. But I personally hope he makes it.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Because he's asking what to do next.... Not rocket surgery here.

FlaSwampRat and Western flyer Thank this.
  7. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    That doesn’t mean jackcrap!

He could have $250K sitting in the bank and still ask.

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  8. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Comfort..

9. FinkPloyd

FinkPloyd Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    WAIT WAIT WAIT!! You guys can actually get insurance with no A exp? I've got My A but I got a Technician job running a class b service truck then switched to Concrete Mixers after a year. I've been wanting to buy a Truck to run end dump for a while now. I'm going to watch this thread like a hawk.

feldsforever and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    The problem is not very many people have that sense, therefore it is risky, difficult, etc. I’m not gonna judge or hate on the OP. I figured who knows he could have got the truck cheap and wants to say F it and throw his nuts out there. Yeah, he will probably fail but maybe he won’t? My thoughts were hey check on insurance first and he will find they either won’t insure him at all or it’ll be astronomically high and not cost affective. I also don’t think very many outfits will let him sign on either, but someone will if he’s tenacious enough to find it.

Who knows, figured if he makes it through those steps then he’s a glutton for punishment like the rest of us and might just do great.

SL3406, piston757, Dino soar and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Cabinover101

Cabinover101 Heavy Load Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Took the words right outta my mouth!

And getcha a dash cam!

Concorde and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.