Just got pre-approved from Gordon

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by Hawks12, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Hawks12

Hawks12 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Hey all,

New CDL driving school graduate that applied at various companies including Gordon. The GTI recruiter just called and said I'm approved for orientation at Pacific, they just need to find a trainer which might be a week or two. I live in Seattle area.

A few questions I thought I'd rather ask this forum first...

Training pay -- He said it was around $9.32/hr On Duty pay during 4 week training...so expect what around 10-14 hrs On duty daily (around $500-$600 weekly) during training?

First year pay -- He said $0.30 for 3 mths after training, then .31, .32/mile bump every 3 mths...Any estimates on what you might expect pay wise first year dry van OTR?

Orientation physical -- I already passed my DOT physical to get the CDL, but have been seeing threads on this site about companies testing for sleep apnea. I feel I am sleeping fine, consistent and waking up feeling good. I am working on losing weight back to my more active days, but still a good amount heavier right now (290lbs.). Will they flag me immediately for sleep testing? What is their policy for new hires? I don't have the funds right now for all the testing, equipment...does Gordon help cover the testing/equipment? Just was getting concerned about this area as I have a great 10+ year driving/work record, but don't know what their policy is for new hires if they flag you as maybe needing sleep testing.

Any insight on these questions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    Gordon was recently bought out by Heartland Express. I have never worked for either of those companies but I always thought of Gordon as one of the better companies. Again that is not from my personal experiences. As to your expected pay. Figure you will average 2200 miles per week for the first year. Also figure you will average .33 cpm with their structure. That is 726 a week over 52 weeks which is $37,752. That is a low ball figure that can be counted on without you running yourself to death.

You also will be getting benefits as well as their part of the social security taxes paid. Some don't pay that and give you a 1099 so your cost to the company is an extra 4,000 or so. You will not get rich your first year in trucking.

But your second year........you might win the powerball.

4. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    $9.32/hr. Even In N Out burger pays more during training LOL

I'm not trying to be a douchebag, you live in a good area, I'm sure some guys here will come and point you in a better direction. Best of luck to you.

5. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    No sleep apnea testing at GTI. Hair Folicle for drugs so if you've partaken in the last 3-6 months you're grandmother better get sick. Not sure about training or training pay, I've got some years behind me. Orientation they will send you for another DOT physical. Doesn't matter if you have one already or not. The trainers at GTI are trained themselves and closely monitored to ensure quality so you're good there. Biggest benefit to GTI is equipment. You will have a Cascadia with an APU and inverter. Trucks aren't put together cheap, driver comfort in mind. So far with GTI you'll be OK, as for when Heartland really starts sinking their teeth in, who knows. Good luck.

6. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

I finished orientation two weeks ago. The physical is thorough; they do both hair and urine tests, so come with some hair! I'm bald, so the RN had to shave a large portion of my chest to get enough. The sleep study is only given if an individual meets the requirements for sleep apnea; Gordon's standards are higher than the FMCSR and I'm not a candidate, so I don't know what, exactly, they are, but I do know two fellows in my orientation class had to do sleep studies because they met the requirements. Your weight and neck size are the primary indicators, so you might have to do one. You will have to foot the bill but you might also get a shorter term med card so you can be put making money; the details will differ by person, so yours will be yours. My advice is not to worry about it and just deal with it at the time.

You will be told that you are only allowed to have one medical card and the FMCSA knows your most recent, so don't think you'll just use the one you now have if there's a problem with your new physical. Gordon is very understanding but will not tolerate things like that.

The driving test is a piece of cake, really. A few left and right turns around the area was all I had - my orientation was in Indy, but yours will probably be in Pacific, so I can't tell you what you'll have to do.

As for pay, I can't help you at all. My class was made up entirely of experienced drivers and we all were issued trucks at the end of the week.

Gordon is still a great place to work, though it is in transition. I wouldn't spend too much time reading about the Heartland/Gordon differences or you'll go crazy. Decide what you want based on your own research and go with it. The first year as a driver is the most critical, no matter where you work, so pay attention and enjoy it!

Good luck.

7. Hawks12

Hawks12 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2013

Thanks for the reply Danali. I guess that is part of my concern. I feel I sleep well, without interruptions and I feel great waking up and throughout the day. Even with that, I'm afraid my current body size will have them making me do the test right off the bat. I am ok with that, but if Gordon is forcing me to pay for the test (I have heard it can cost $1K or more), then that will be a concern for me as a first year employee with tight funds and making not much money anyway. There's other companies that provide sleep testing included in their insurance or at a pretty low price.

I guess I would like to know before I commit to Gordon if anyone knows how much they charge new hires to pay for the sleep test since it looks like that will be needed to be done within the first 90 days. It would be good to get an idea of that without having to ask my recruiter (don't want them to think I'm hiding anything which I am not). Just wondering if new hires have to shell out $1000+ for the sleep test w/o insurance? Or say just $150 or free which I have heard from other companies if anyone knows? Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  8. DenaliDad

The only way to get specific answers to specific questions is to start asking their recruiting staff. We can give you some general advice and it's just as likely to be wrong. You don't want to make a decision on any company by what you're told on the Internet, then be disappointed when you get there.

Call them.

Hawks12 Thanks this.
  9. Hawks12

Hawks12 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2013

Thanks, yeah realizing asking the recruiter will be the best way to get info on that topic if others here have not gone through it before as a new hire. I'll just ask about it casually along with some other questions so it doesn't stick out.

10. DenaliDad

No worries. That are friendly and will give you the straight answer. In my view, there's really no need to hide it; it's a matter that will have to be addressed and the sooner the better for you.

I wish you you well Gordon is still a good company, though there have been and will be changes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.