Just to clarify my status

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by windsmith, Jan 27, 2013.

1. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    It has come to my attention that someone has posted here claiming that I'm not an o/o and that I don't have authority to book my own loads. I'd like to set the record straight on this matter.

It is true that I am not an o/o, from the standpoint that I do not own the truck that I drive.

It is not true that I do not have authority to book my own loads; I find and book the majority of my own loads, and negotiate my own rates. Sometimes the owner of the truck comes up with a better load than I can find. When that happens, we go with his. I'm not one to turn down a better offer just because it wasn't my idea! I also have authority to sign broker agreements for new accounts, as well as rate confirmations. I do my own trip planning, and have free reign regarding routes and schedules.

I am paid a flat percentage of gross revenue to the truck. Fuel, maintenance and other truck expenses (except for my personal equipment such as microwave, fridge, inverter, etc) are paid for by the owner. While this might not be an ideal arrangement for many truck owners, I'm keenly aware of the need to keep cost down where fuel is concerned, and strive to operate in a most efficient manner. So far it's worked well for all concerned.

I'm responsible for everything to do with the truck regarding daily operation and maintenance. I am NOT responsible for the 'back office' functions such as billing, IFTA filing, insurance, record keeping, etc.

I post my experiences here in the O/O section, as I feel that my experiences can be relevant and useful to the 'true' O/O. If anyone feels that I shouldn't, or that where I'm posting is inappropriate, feel free to say something. I may come across as confrontational and headstrong, but I do respond to well thought out and well presented arguments.

I hope that the above explanation will help clear the air and answers any questions that anyone here may have.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HDFatboy

HDFatboy Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    PA
    So I take it that wasn't your employer? lol

4. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Sounds good to me.

So who is the person who is ranting about you, is he someone you know? trying to cause problems

5. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    I find your posts very helpful , good luck !

6. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i have seen windsmith post before saying that he was not a o/o also that he is a new cdl holder although some of his post one may assume that he is a o/o i have never seen him claim to be.

7. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Don't feed the trolls.

8. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    my reply is actually in windsmiths defense from accusations that he was claiming to be a owner operator. I have never seen him claim to be.

9. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Who cares, on the job experiences are helpful no matter if they come from a O/O, a Lease Operator, a company driver, or a lot lizard.

The lot lizard's stories are usually better tho

10. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    He posted here about 30 minutes ago :biggrin_25526:
    Looks like he went "poof" again.

11. Starline

Starline Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Middle Tn
    Don't worry about it... people like that usually have low self esteem issues any how.
    Next time some tells you that you don't qualify... just tell them to F- off.
    Usually its Penus envy issue... LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.