K30 roof mount help

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by BlackThought, Jan 12, 2019.

1. BlackThought

BlackThought Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Memphis,TN
    I cut the antenna too much at once...now i have swr higher on 1 than 40, was the other way before the last cut. Anyhow, the antenna is raised as far as it can go now, but im still off. I tried another antenna i have with a bell on the tip, its much longer than what came with this. But the SWR is even 3.5 on 1 and 40. If i cut it down to about where the stock antenna came, will it be fine? I dont want to ruin a good antenna if i can help it. again..

Gotta make a trip to washington in a 4wheeler.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    If it's thinner, you need to make it longer.

4. BlackThought

Jul 22, 2014
    Memphis,TN
    Put some shafts on it?

5. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Loaded antennas generally are designed to achieve resonance pretty near what the factory supplies them with.

The mag-mount K30 I have is a 35-inch antenna. On the sedan I tuned it on, I had to trim it down to about 32 inches to be resonant. An antenna this short usually won't achiever really low SWRs at both ends of the frequency; i.e., you might have to compromise one end or the other in order to achieve best results somewhere in the 27 mhz band. In my case, I quit cutting when I got SWRs of about 1.3 on Channel 1, 1.2 on 19 and maybe 1.9 on 40. Since I only used it on 19, that was good enough for me. Any more cutting and I probably would have had high SWRs on the whole band.

Once you've cut too much, the stinger is pretty well screwed. The best thing would be to get another stinger that is about factory length and try tuning it again, only cutting in quarter-length segments and not trying to achieve too much with a three-foot shorty.

Of course, with the too-short antenna you might find an acceptable SWR somewhere in the 27 mhz band that satisfies your needs and use it like it is. I'd say any SWR value less than maybe 2:1 is acceptable and won't damage anything except cutting your actual transmit power by maybe 10% or so.

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    You cut the whip too short. Now you need a new one. You might need 4 feet of shaft to compensate for the half inch of whip that's missing. Easier to replace the whip.

handlebar and Slowmover1 Thank this.
  7. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    FWIW, I’ve a collection of stingers. Can’t say I know what to do with the short ones, but there they are at the bottom of the truck electrical tool bag.

Unlike bad studs. Mighty good they are for heaving at a/wipes who cut you off in traffic. Or would be if I learned to sidearm pitch with left hand.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Make curb-feelers out of them! Just drill a hole next to the right front tire and right back tire and stick'em in!:D

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  9. BlackThought

Jul 22, 2014
    Memphis,TN
    Made it to washington from Memphis TN and didnt get a single drop of snow on the van. Cold as hell, but some how some way, no weather.

First time out west, i applaud you guys who run mountains. Ill stick to the little hills in TN and carolina borders lmao

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.