K40 whip keeps snapping.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Fold_Moiler, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    This is the second whip in two months. They replaced it for free but it's time to move on. Every windy day or time I go off road I lose it from it moving back and forth and snapping off at the base. Is there an antenna I can screw into the base that is fiberglass?

Or else I'll go with a perch, it's a flat top Volvo 670 so if you guys have some nice areas to route the wire feel free to post pics.
    I could mount a set up on the back too but I don't know where to run the wire from the front. I'm not trying to tear the whole truck apart. Just get something decent it's just for a cheap cobra classic.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    Edit, it's actually a k30.

Really my only option is a magnet mount because I don't really want to rip apart the dash on a truck that isn't mine to route it through the door for a bird perch. And don't want the wires all over looking like crap. I got the wires out of the way now since I used the top cb holder so it just runs along the ceiling and out the door and doesn't look bad.

Is there any good magnet mounts that can stand up to rough roads? I don't want another thin metal whip that will just break after a while of shaking back and forth. How's the hustler magnet mount? Or the midland one? The hustler looks stronger for sure.

I feel like thin metal swaying back and forth constantly will all end up broken. The hustler and midland both have springs and I can hook those up without drilling holes or taking apart the whole truck. Anyone have them?

4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    If you're good at fabrication you can make a piece of sheet metal to slip between the upper and lower half of the fairing and get sandwich into place that protrudes out from the truck and then you drill a hole in the flat metal plate and put your stud in the plate and screw the antenna into the stud and run your cable out underneath the sleeper and up the back side of the truck and zip tie into place and make sure the plate is grounded to the body which is all Steel.

Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  5. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    Why would I do that? My truck is steel... I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

6. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    It's a low roof, so it's just steel on top.

7. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Are you sure it's a steel roof?

8. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    Yeah, it's already got a magnet mount on it. It just keeps breaking whips so I need one with a whip that's sturdier. I can be longer since the tractor is so low it won't hit anything.

9. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I have a K40 for 10 years now that has never broke. Maybe the K40 whip is larger diameter.

K40 whip is .117 inches at base and length is 6'. I have mine clipped to cab about halfway up so its not swinging all over. Whip only extends about a foot above cab. I'm not real CB guru so location and height is not issue.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  10. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    Maybe. The k30 is super flimsy and thin so after so much movement it just snaps off right at the base.

11. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA

Drill it out and use a K40 whip.

I was sort-of kidding but now I wonder if you could bore it out

chopper103in Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.