Keep On Trucking Data Usage ?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by FLHT, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    KT seems to work pretty flawlessly for us, from a user and back office perspective. We've had a few issues here and there (user interface problems, mostly), but when you call for help, there's actually help.

For example, we had a situation where I jumped on the truck for a trip to visit some customers. I rarely drive anymore, but on the way back, I signed in and ran the last leg home, rather than doing an overnight in the truck. Well, seems you have to log OUT again before another driver can log in (who knew? ;) ). Anyway, the regular driver couldn't get it to work (symptom: the boss broke it.... ). One quick phone call to KT talking to a real person, and problem solved.

Drivers seem to like it. Office likes it. Inspectors seem familiar with it and that helps, too. We do run on a dedicated Ipad, and I wouldn't run it on a phone.

ExmuslimAtheist Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    0 complaints and price is fair. 240/year eld only. 360 if you want it to track your ifta miles. I renew soon here and am considering the upgrade.

It crashed a few times when I ran it on my Samsung tablet. I use my s6 phone now and it works perfect. I think the phone has a faster computer than the tablet. As far as handing phone to officer it hasn't been an issue to me, done it twice now. First time he says email it I go to email screen he enters it and hit send and done. 2nd time just a quick check through previous days logs and hand it back. Phone never out of my sight. So far so good on that front.

You may not be eligible for the 15 mph threshold if you buy now. Probably locked to eld mode at 5 mph. Dec 2019 we will all be 5 mph.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Landstar used to give us an ELD. Actually an AOBR. Qualcomm. Now for trucks added, you have to buy one, and this is one of the options. And the price is $200, maybe they get discount for volume, for the one you have, nearly $900 for the one I have in my truck now.

I was telling my driver get the cheapest one to start, keep your costs down, you can upgrade later. Truck wasn't on the fleet before he got here, so he's in my truck at the moment.

The only thing that gave me pause was that I see a lot of negative reviews on it. Hasseling with an e log is not in my plans.

But, as with so many things that people say are all evil on here, what's the real story.

I'll probably just get the Omni Tracs. Landstar charges like $2 month for the IFTA reporting with it.

5. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Who is the admiministrator if you are an owner operator using landstar authority?
    For me I am both driver and admin. Admin is only useful for getting old logs, I download them by the month and save to a folder. Apparently with the upgrade for ifta I will be able to do the same for trip routes and distances. It would make ifta filing easier and no more writing down odometer at every state line. I am going to try it when they call back Monday. There is no log editing in admin. Or I haven't figured it out yet. Then again I haven't had a need to.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Have you used the IFTA on Keep Trucking yet? I am planning on getting it very soon and wanted to know if it has any issues before purchasing.

7. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I did recently start using ifta tracking through my keep truckin eld.

The mileage reporting is not always accurate. It misses distance sometimes, no idea why. It does give a map of my route every day.

For ifta I am still writing mileage down at state lines, then I download a summary of the route traveled, by the quarter. I hope it improves in the future as far as mileage totals. For the rest of 2018 I am doing it my way and will try their way for 2019.

dynamite and Siinman Thank this.
  8. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Awesome thank you sir for the information.

9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Been using KT for a few years, back when it was just an app. Now have the ELD box in the truck. From the driver or user stand point, it is very easy to use. Does most things automatically, so it really is just tap here and select, then save. Doing edits and adding BOL info and related items are just a few steps. Big item is to tap save after entering any change or info.

Using KT on a small screen is OK, a 7 or 8 inch tablet is better, less having to scroll around and easier to read things quickly.

Have had a few very minor problems over the years. One ELD box did die, they had a replacement shipped in 24 hours. Support has always been quick, courteous and helpful.

Data usage has been very minimal. Only have a 1GB plan for the tablet, never used more than a few MBs a month.
    It does have a documents capture and send feature. I do use this some.

It can and will do more than it gets used for. Would like the office to use more of the features. Make some things a bit easier.

10. jaielv

jaielv Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2010
    joliet,il
    Big mistake going with keep trucking !! Their a bunch of polaks who only know how to take your money believe me. Even after I cancelled they still charged me for renewal and the only way I got my money back was to report it to my bank and I got my money back from the bank not keep taking (money).tell your boss to look into blue ink they have way better technology and what keep trucking offers as a yearly basic for $340 theirs is free. Plus keep trucking doesn’t offer air scale or trailer monitoring!

11. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    So far not to happy with Keep Trucking. Went to GA and #### time stamp on Log this morning is in Central Time even after yesterday it logged correct. So ran my log 1 hour short on my 10 hour..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.