Keeping the truck secure

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by noCDLyet, Apr 9, 2008.

1. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    I have heard of a fairly new device that actually fits over the air valves on the dash. It prevents anyone from releasing the brakes while it is installed. The only way to get this "collar" off is the key. I am sorry I do not recall the specific name the designer named it but perhaps one of the other members here will be familiar with the name of the device and where to look for it.

KittyKat501 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. greenhorn27

greenhorn27 Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2007
    knoxville, tn
    I have seen those air valve locks in magazines and just now online. One site had one for almost $300! But I found one that is designed a little different for $66.80 at It would be worth the money for when you want to leave the AC or heater running while you go in to shower or whatever.

4. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I have an autoactivating alarm on my truck, it prevents theft of the truck. If anyone gets near of it, it alerts me, and if they are dumb enough to open the doors well... I'll have a big ole mess to clean up. I don't ever unhook from my trailer unless I am in a drop yard so I don't need to worry about the trailer.

I padlock the trailer doors so that should be about as safe as I can personally make it (or care to make it.)

[​IMG]

5. t_wilson0321

t_wilson0321 <strong>Adjustable Wench</strong>

Jan 23, 2008
    on the road again

Yes they are called air cuff locks. Some companies are using them now.

6. driver4015

driver4015 Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Bend ,Oregon
    "enfo rcer" makes a kipin lock,a glad hand lock a steering wheel lock and a pad lock for the trailer. they are good equipment. the king pin lock weighs about 15 lbs I believe the entire kit was about 100 dollars.hope this helps.

7. Eagle66

Eagle66 Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2010
    I've seen a truck parked overnight near me and the guy had put up window guards on the drivers + passenger side windows for security against break-ins. Anybody else see these?

8. RenegadeTrucker

RenegadeTrucker Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Montana
    Just a thought, but it is really hard to steal a trailer that has no glad hands... Mine never did.

I would also use a king pin lock, and I had a valve hidden under the neck that would block off the red line keeping the trailer from airing up. If you didnt know where to look for it you would never find it.

9. musicmaker

musicmaker Medium Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Fort Madison, IA
    Ive been doing this for years and so far, no problems. I put a quarter behind the glad hand seal onn the trailer. The trailer will never air up and if anyone is going to try to steal it, they are not going to try to figure out whats wrong, they'll just go to another trailer

hup Thanks this.
  10. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    Thieves are "opportunist",they prey on convenience like a fox in a hen house.
    All the locks in the world only slow a thief during the task at hand.

Basic "locksmith knowledge" easily defeats all the trendy gadgets sold to
    give one the "sense" of security.
    Brake Valve Shackles,Glad Hand locks,King Pin locks only add a few seconds
    per device for the thief on a mission.The latest way to defeat king pin locks
    is crazy simple and has afforded near effortless access to tow away trailers.

To summarize:
    If its your turn,its your turn
    Living in fear of what you have no control over isn't quality life IMO
    Do your job,life has its own way of sorting things out.

11. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    All of which are easily defeated in mere seconds(less then 1 minute for the KP lock,the other are 3-8 secs each)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.