Kenworth Frame bending

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Mbittle, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Mbittle

Mbittle Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2014
    IMG_0682.JPG Hello everyone, I have a 1993 w900, the previous owner replaced the ag100 suspension with a 4 bag airglide from a freightlner due to rust issues. The original kw frame was kept just drilled a bunch of new holes for the new suspension, under the fifth wheel is rusty and thin. If you look down the frame from the back you can clearly see a slight bow under the fifth wheel, also the frame flange above the front set of air bags is bending upwards and the truck is riding very rough and feels very unstable ( loaded trailer seems to lean a lot more than it should). Another visible issue is that the angle steel that the fifth wheel plate bolts to is very wavy, visible bends between the bolts. Not sure if I need to replace rear frame rails or am I missing something. I have not found any cracks or holes in the frame or cross members. Any advice? Thanks a lot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Loose Leaf

Loose Leaf Medium Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Can you show any pics

RollingRecaps Thanks this.
  4. Mbittle

Mbittle Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2014
    I uploaded a few photos. Not very good quality The bowing of th frame under the fifth wheel is very noticeable when loaded.

Attached Files:

5. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Hard to say from the pics,but looks like you're missing at least one cross member.

Mbittle Thanks this.
  6. Loose Leaf

Feb 2, 2017
    I have never seen a truck without the back plate until today.

Can you take a pic a bit higher so we can see down the frame?

Mbittle Thanks this.
  7. Loose Leaf

Feb 2, 2017
    It's alot of work but I know a guy in town that owns several trucks that extended a frame on a cabover.
    Long story short: most of your bolts look long enough you can reinforce in the same manner he did.

Like I said: alot of work.

Take everything off and get some 1/2" to 1" plate steel size to fit tight inside of channels, you can cut intermittent slots for extra weld strength, weld it in, weld all slots full then drill all bolt holes needed and put it back together.

His truck has been through DOT never shut down for the extension or added strength.

You also need to find another cross member for the rear.

Force the bend out.

Or buy new channels.

Mbittle Thanks this.
  8. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    Kenworths don't automatically have a crossmember at the end of the rails like a Peterbilt. We have several here that don't.

Mbittle and Loose Leaf Thank this.
  9. Mbittle

Mbittle Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2014
    image.jpg image.jpg I have an ag100 cut off in very good shape that I will most likely put in but the frame is a different height so I did locate 2 nice 12' rails pre drilled for ag100 for $350. Prob my best bet and stretch 12" or so while at it.

10. Loose Leaf

Feb 2, 2017
    if it was me, as cheap as they are, I think I would add one just for the extra strength.

Mbittle Thanks this.
  11. Mbittle

Mbittle Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2014
    They switched up the ears on the rear crossmember. Don't really think that should matter too much though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.