Kenworth T680 2016 MX-13 CAN communication issues

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Roadphoneix, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Roadphoneix

Roadphoneix Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2019
    I just bought a used 2016 Kenworth T680 May 7th 2019, and by June 6th 2019 I was in the shop for repairs. The issue is when am driving, the speedometer goes to 0mph and the engine fan turns on, after a few minutes, the ABS light comes on and DEF gauge goes to empty and flashes red, the transmission service lights on, the it won't shift out of the current gear.

Have been to a couple of Kenworth shops, first was in Grand Junction CO, they checked it out saying that it was the CAN and J1939 communication errors, that was being caused by a faulty alternator, and ground wires. Fixed it and paid $3500. Left Grand Junction on Wednesday 12th June.

On June 14th, just outside Kansas City, the same issue started, took it to another Kenworth shop in Olathe, this time round, it was VTG and NOX sensors, that were the issue, replaced them but the issue was still present, after an ECM swap with another truck, the issue was still present. They did a Pico scope and said that they had found the issue causing the CAN communication and resolved the issue on June 18th. Spent $9500

June 20th, the same truck issue started again in Arkansas, made it to a Kenworth shop in Memphis TN, this time they're saying it's the batteries that are low on voltage and need to be changed. Currently here. Update with new information as it comes.

Has anyone experienced this issue before, CAN communication between the engine and transmission, and how did they resolve it? Am feeling that the Kenworth guys are just guessing and when stumped they just clear he errors and send me on my way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Without seeing printouts......

I would begin with a thorough visual inspection of the OEM engine harness, especially around the top left rear of the engine. Common areas of concern. You most likely have a poor connection or intermittent short to ground somewhere in a harness. Does it act up more when raining or wet out?

4. Roadphoneix

Jun 22, 2019
    It happens intermittently, before I ended up in Memphis. It began happening when I was going through the hills in southern Missouri into Arkansas on route 63. The Kansas city dealership checked the engine bay and found the VTG wiring was worn and replaced the VTG.

Do you mean the dealership printouts? Or the errors faults printouts?

5. Goodysnap

Jul 12, 2017
    Fault code printout from Davie would suffice, so yes dealer printout, not generic. The problem you have can be the toughest to lockdown. Even though it's hard, sometimes waiting until it gets worse is the better way to go.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. Roadphoneix

Jun 22, 2019
    I'll try and get the davie printout from this dealership and post it up.
    Was worried getting struck on the road and being towed. First time it happened it had refused to up shift from 2nd gear and had to be towed from Moab UT to Grand Junction CO.

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    My money would be on wiring harness.

And I think you are 100% on the mark, the techs are guessing.

With the repeated issue, and the attempted fixes you've undergone, I'd definitely bet on wiring harness.

And a tech should be able to ohm out all the wires contained within.

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  8. Goodysnap

Jul 12, 2017
    Transmission report might not hurt either. Sounds as though you are losing communication between the two.

9. Roadphoneix

Jun 22, 2019
    Would a pico scope, pick up the loss of communication?

10. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    On the MX powered truck, vehicle speed is from the ABS. Getting any codes from ABS other the CAN faults?

11. Roadphoneix

Jun 22, 2019
    Got a printout of the codes. Attached below.
    According to this guys it's my ELog, that's causing the issue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Reason for edit: Additional information
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.