Kenworth W900 Icon feedback

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Largecar359, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Does anyone own or know someone who owns the w900 Icon? What is your opinion of it so far. I have a o/o that pulls for me that is very serious about the truck, he is getting ready to trade in his 2005 379. His 379 is right at that point where it's time to sink in some serious money and keep the truck or dive into something new. He is not a fan of the 389, and if your gonna spend 156,000$ better spend it on something you want. His 379 is ready for a motor job and some other high dollar items putting his power up number at approx 38,000$.
    He has test driven the icon and seems to really like it, one major concern that he has and I do as well is the motor. The Isx has a bunch of horror stories that come along with the name due to Def system and electronics. He is reviewing both options on the icon as far as Glider with 6nz Cat and with new isx. My opinion is the 6nz cat will serve him better, as his current truck has the c-15 acert. He has 745,000 on motor with no money into it besides changing oil, and valve adjustments. I tried to explain to him that motors now, will not hold up like that. He is literally days away from pulling the trigger on purchasing new or keeping old.
    If anyone has any information on the new icon, please share it. I know they are a limited production truck and not many companies spend that kind of money to put a driver in it. I personally have not driven one, but I have seen it and went over it closely, it seems to be a good set-up.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I climbed around in one a few years ago at Inland in Phoenix.
    I was all kinds of disappointed.
    It's a lot of plastic. I hated the instrument set up, and those giant plastic ice cube switches are worse than any other manufacturer.

My ISX is a 450/1850. So far so good. 438K. Very good pull. You have to get the DPF serviced as a maintenance item. Ever 100 to 150K, and idling will kill it dead, an APU is a must.

But I was really bummed by the interior of the truck. I mean literally my Cascadia is nicer inside.

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. Largecar359

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Your talking about the rocker switches or the toggle top ones? I know they aren't cheap to get new ones. Never had them, but I've seen guys pay 80$ plus per switch.

5. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    I can't see any thing so special about the Icon. Kenworth threw a few trinkets on a W9 and gave it a spiffy name. Look at the 379X. Not long after it came out you could buy anything on it that was special the day it came out. Look at the truck, not the glitter. A few repairs in terms of upkeep on the Acert in the future will be money way better spent in my opinion. I am a KW fan but I wouldn't spend the money on an Icon for the sake of owning one or for the reasons he wants to spend it.

6. Largecar359

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    The paint scheme on the one I looked at was well done, had 290wb with good stainless tool boxes both sides. I believe the bunk was the studio set-up, I don't know if there are different options or if that's a standard package.

I have been out of the new truck game for awhile, and there is a huge reason for that, I put my money into my 359 and it's definitely money well spent in my mind. I don't want him to buy something new, just for the sake of buying something new. It's not my decision, however it does effect me. If he buys a new truck that's in the shop all the time, I need to find a truck to cover that work. I figure on about 6 weeks downtime for his full out of frame motor job, and that's also doing the other things he should do when the motor is out. I dunno 6 weeks scheduled downtime is way better then pop-up problems on a new one.

BigBob410, Oxbow, Orange713 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

Just a question, but what is the problem with the truck that makes a complete out of frame necessary at 745k miles?? Lots of trucks run way longer than that with no problems and I wouldn't be considering that major of an overhaul without some very compelling evidence in oil samples and major breakdowns. Last truck I had that needed an oof was because of a broken crank and from experience 38k won't touch that kind of overhaul let alone any extras.

8. MM71

MM71 Heavy Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    AZ
    If your friend is dead set on something new and does not run cali .... he should consider a glider very seriously. Even if he does run cali ... he should consider a glider. D&B will build him a Icon glider ... as stated before, the ICON brand is just a visor, some chrome, and some stitching and a custom look can be attained for similar.

I'd put the money back into the old iron myself.

rabbiporkchop and bigguns Thank this.
  9. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    I'd keep the old truck and put a 6nz in it or get a glider all these new trucks are junk imo!

rabbiporkchop and 201 Thank this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, KWhopper, the best truck, no question. The "Dubja 9" been the longest continuously made truck model of all time, 56 years, that says something. Not the nicest, or the toughest truck out there, but I feel the best. Loved every one I drove. Now, today? Pfft, wouldn't even look at one, may as well get a Volvo.( not that there's anything wrong with a Volvo) Give me a '73 W900, 8 bag with a 500 Detroit, some "long leg gears" and a double sleeper, I'd be pretty happy. Sonny Pruitt knew what to drive!!
    http://i.imgur.com/L4E9ehm.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  11. Slowpoke KW

Slowpoke KW Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2015
    OK
    I had an 2004 387 acert company truck that I got when it had 525k when I got out of it it had 1.1 million with no major problems and still running strong.

Edit to add

My current truck which I have owned for 5 years is a 1996 w9 and I wouldn't make an even title for title trade for any new one
    He's got a good 250k at least left to go with that 379 ... I say keep the old Pete going

Also CAT does offer low interest loans like 3.5% for 3 years

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.