Kevin Rutherford..

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rickybobby, Dec 15, 2013.

1. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    My whole 30+ years in this industry, I have only owned big hood petes. My business decisions have allowed me to enjoy a newer paid for house with plenty of room for truck and trailer. That classic hood I drive around in has been paid for, for years. My aluminum spread axle flat is paid for. My F250 super duty is paid for. My wife's Toyota is paid for. and we have a good bit of money in the bank.

My household has never had any other income. This was done as a one truck owner operator leased to a couple different carriers, dragging a flatbed all over the country.

You have to make a lot of good business decisions to be a success in this industry. A lot of people go broke trucking. But Mr. KB3MMX, when you see me in my long hood Pete looking freaking awesome all fixed up with the chrome, bumpers, stacks, etc,etc, you are looking at a very successful owner operator.

There are a lot of successful owner operators that enjoy coming out of a truck stop and seeing their beautiful hood sitting over there. Shippers compliment us on our trucks. Receiver compliment us. The general public will come up to us and compliment us.

Some of us take an extreme amount of pride in our equipment, that is only one of many thousands of business decisions that have to be made. If I made 7.5MPG I would have more money, but success is how happy you are.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    This is an awesome post!!!!!!

It should be saved at the top of this section for all to see.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  4. bobbyhill

bobbyhill Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Left Lane
    Exactly I do what little I do because I like my old pieced together classic truck, if I was made to give it up and drive a bigheaded aero truck I would quit.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    In the 70's I worked on a family Drilling Rig when not in school.
    The Bucyrus-Erie 21W I cut my teeth on was from the 1940's and all friction drive, no clutches. The truck was a 1960 International B170, always repainted every so many years, and new Babbitt bearings poured when needed. Although it was old it was always complimented because it was well taking care of. Other drillers had rigs looking like scrap yard material, real pretty set up next to a new house drilling. Enjoyed your post.

6. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    KR should have said if you drive a long nose hood, you're successful. We all know that.

7. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    success is much more than who gets the best fuel mileage.

Bean Jr., jason6541 and MJ1657 Thank this.
  8. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    I got it... You already explain it. That has nothing to do with the OP.

9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    While I agree with you completely here, people do have to understand that they give up some money for the big hood. It's a personal decision. Nothing wrong with that if you account for it. No different than me only running 50k miles a year to spend more time at home with my family. obviously I'm leaving money on the table to do that.

The guys I get a laugh at are the ones that seem to have convinced themselves that their hood doesn't cost them any extra money, or even worse, they think it makes them money. Guess the laws of physics don't apply to them?

Terry270, ramblingman and truckon Thank this.
  10. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    were on the same page spyder I agree 100%

11. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    It is funny to read your comment 2 years later after the 34 hour limitations were repealed. What would be your objection now?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.