Kicked Out By IdleAire???

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Pur48Ted, May 12, 2007.

1. rainman1971

rainman1971 Beamerhauler

Aug 22, 2006
    Pierceton,IN
    If they are the only spots available and you do not have the ability to hook up to their service for some reason then what? I see your point about the noise of the truck idling but if it means a driver that has ran all day and is out of hours finds a place to park, he shouldn't be ran out of the spot because he can't hook up. With the extremely limited amount of parking, especially here in the northeast, it is difficult to find a non-idleaire spot in most truck stops after 3 pm. I won't even try to go home on a Monday if I'm not going to be at the truck stop I park my 4 wheeler in after 5 pm. I'll ask for a load going away from the house just so I know I will have a place to park for the night.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

My point is that those spots are no longer the exclusive property of the truckstop for any driver to do with as he pleases. In effect, Idle-Air has sub leased that ground from the owner of the truckstop and as long as they comply with the lease agreement, they can do what they want to with those spots. They are the lessee and are subleasing that ground from the truckstop.

I don't like Idle Air, and don't like to find myself in the position of defending a product that I don't care for, never use, and have no plans to ever use. However, the fact remains that they have a valid agreement with the truckstop that permits them to set the rules of parking and use for those specific spots.

I own some farmland, and if I lease that ground out to a farmer, then I only have limited rights to that ground while the lease is active. I can't tell him that I think he should put in beans instead of corn, and unless I stipulated it in the lease agreement, I can't tell him that he is not allowed to use weedspray or insectisides on his crop. It''s the same thing that is going on between Idle Air and a truckstop. Once the truckstop leases the parking spots to someone, they then have limited controls over the use of the property. Meaning that the parking spots can be declared for non idling use, or for no parking without using their services.

I know the parking is lousy in the northeast, and I think Idle Air worsens that situation. But the truckstops have made a decision and in doing so they have guaranteed themselves some revenue from parking spaces that normally produced nothing, and actually cost them in maintenance and cleanup money. I don't like that, but I have to respect their decision to do so. They are a revenue producing business, and have made their decisions accordingly.

4. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    First of all, it isn't about "QUIET", if it were, IDLEAIR would not allow truckers to run their reefers which make more noise that two trucks, or IdleAir would NOT forbid APU's which make far less noise than the quietest truck.
    If there arent ANY spaces left, the driver is OOH, parking on a ramp isn't an option and there aren't any close-by restareas, I FAIL to see what a driver's health and/or comfort (who idles for these reasons) is "asking for it" (to paraphrase you) It is, always has been and always WILL BE about $$$$

5. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Regardless of any contract they hold with the Truckstops, I don't think that they are enforceable if it affects the health, safety, comfort or well-being of a driver who does not use their service. And I am sure it wont be long before there is a court case determining this.

6. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    If I've driven all day I can sleep thru anything! Like 24/7 in Bakersfield right next to train crossing--going all night!! Or those XXXX reefers cycling---leave on continuous, plz! I also dont like Idleaire---it is all about $$$ and they think that they are cops! Soon, someone from Idleaire is gonna get beat up or shot by a tired, road-raged driver!!:biggrin_25512:

7. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2006
    I had a swap to do at the Petro in Knoxville so I could get home for time-off. I pull in around 8AM and had to circle the lot to find a spot to back into for the swap. I had forgottin how many spots are taken up by this IdleAir BS. When I completed the swap, I walked over to the fuel island to scan paperwork and when I left , I told the attendant to tell the Manager to get rid of this IdleAir. It was takin up all the parking. I like to back into a spot so when I leave, I am looking forward and see everything. I never park going forward so when I leave I have to back out. The attendant told me that a lot of Drivers were complaining that IdleAir had taken over but the Manager has said basically, "If you don't like it, go somewhere's else."

Believe me, I will.

8. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Well, since you have a history of filing court cases concerning truck stops, and in this case, you were the offended party, looks like it's time for you to step up and get the ball rolling. I can't be a party to the case because I have never parked in one of their spots. But, if you did park there, then you were the affected party and have standing to bring suit. Get yourself a hungry shyster lawyer and have at it. Let us know how it turns out.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    I think people are failing to realize that Idle-Air is leasing this property. Is it about the money? Of course it is. They are there to make money, and they don't want people who are not using their services taking up a spot that another potential customer would be taking up.

To put it simply, it is no different than seeing an open parking lot, that you could easily get into for the night, other than the fact it has "no parking" signs. The police and the property owners could care less how tired you are, or whether you are out of hours. They don't want you there, and they can legally keep you out of there.

Like Burky, I don't like Idle-Air either, but the sad truth is they can do as they see fit with the area of property they are leasing. It is a business, and allowing someone to park for free in a paid area is counter-productive to the business.

Luckily, I don't buy fuel at T/A's or Petros, and Flying J doesn't use the system on their lot. I will say though, that if I am tired and need to sleep, as much as I dislike it, I would simply pay the fee to park in the spot if that was all that was available. Fortunately, I have never been in the position that their spots was all that was available.

10. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    First of all, I DO NOT have a "History of filing court cases concerning" truckstops or any other business. I do not consider filing ONE LAWSUIT having a "history".
    I filed a lawsuit against Flying J BECAUSE 4 of their THUGS attacked me UNPROVOKED as I walked in-between two trailers, as was determined to be TRUE by a jury in Atlanta Georgia. There was a legitimate reason for me to file a lawsuit, and I suspect you would have also done so under the same or similar circumstances. Anyone who says they would simply shrug their shoulders and chalk it off as a "learning experience" are either liars, suffer from low self-esteem, or perhaps just stupid.
    It is the RIGHT of every American to use the courts in this country when their rights have been violated, when they have been unjustly injured or to enforce a contract. As a member of OOIDA, you must believe this to be true.

Cummon, Burky, I had a more respect for you than this. Your condescending attitude as well as personal attacks referencing my (RIGHT TO FILE A) lawsuit (for any reason) is really unbecoming of your "esteemed" position in this forum.

11. lookingup

lookingup Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2006
    "Some one from Idle air is going to get shot" and "Horse Pucky" belong together in a sentence .....I Love this Site..... Keep up the Great Posts

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.