Kingpin replacement?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by miket11, May 13, 2017.

1. miket11

miket11 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Hi guys I had a question about kingpin for my volvo. I have a 2014 Volvo VNL64t670.

I went to the dealer and bought the kingpin and they asked if i needed the bearings as well, it sounded to be like it would be a good idea to change those as well. What do you think? I will obviously go to a shop to change it, I will not be doing it myself. I had a question about this kingpin. This plastic part (circled red) is it suppose to be plastic? that seems like a problem waiting to happen, id imagine it would be much more durable if it was metal?

What are your thoughts, should I return this and find something else, or i have no choice in this matter.
    and also about the bearings, what do you think? worth replacing?

thanks guys.

Attached Files:

• 2122.jpg
      2122.jpg
      File size:
      42.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Those are nylon. I have never seen anything except solid brass bushings from the factory. If they are just as good why don't they come in new trucks?
    Looks similar to a Mack taperered, adjustable, king pin but it's a bit different. Maybe @nasriza can educate us. To my understanding Volvo is now the parent company of Mack, Malvo. The truck you are riding in is probably built on a foundation from a White. They also bought out GMC heavy trucks so you you may have some of those genes as well.
    Excuse me: The king pins. I would not put that in unless I had a problem to fix and needed to ride. Those are boomaring bushings. You will be back. Just my opion.

KB3MMX and AModelCat Thank this.
  4. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    The Stemco/Kaiser Kingpin Kit comes with metal bushings.

I would return the kit you purchased and buy the bearings just in case they need replacing. I would have the shop check the condition of the bearings before replacing them as it's very rare to have the bearings go out and if you don't wind up needing them, you can always return them.

For a three year old truck it seems very odd that you would need Kingpins already.

What happened that a shop or you felt that you needed new Kingpins?

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  5. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Have it done. Bushings factory installed were plastic. If you can buy bearings separately you can always return them. Don't use made in china bearings. Make sure mechanic know how to disassemble then assemble, have proper tools to torque the bearings.

Attached Files:

6. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    ^^^my question too.
    Why?

7. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]

It's kind if early to do kingpins job for 2014 truck, how many miles? Did you lift it to check the play?
    If you have an airride like mine, Hendrickson steertek you can't do kingpins , bushings only, the pins are cryogenic inserted from factory. I did my kingpins bushings first at 900k miles, but it cost about 2000$ parts labour doesn't worth the money the whole axle is cheap : last year my pins were put of spec again ,at 1.6 mil miles, I ordered the whole axle assembly , as you see it above, it cost about 1900$, around 3500$ installed. It's better deal for long term, and this job is very sensitive , you need a good mechanic , or is going to eat tires ,affect your ride .

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  8. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    This is the new style Volvo king pins there is some kind of adjustment to ten but I hate dealing with this ####. You can always adj a little

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. Mtorr69

Mtorr69 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2016
    Lake Wales, FL
    Hi. I have a 2011 VNL with a Hendrickson air ride suspension. I was told that I needed to replace the entire axle. But I'm learning now that I can replace the bushings only. Where can I get them? Anyone has a part number? I jus put brand new tires an will hate to waste them

Thanks in advance for your help.

10. dkooi

dkooi Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I did this to my 2007 about 2 years ago, go to "Hendrickson - Truck Literature" and look at SP-174 under AIRTEK parts list and identify which build of axle you have as there is a split in 2011. You can tell by build date and spring mount style which one you have, the one in the pic in post #6 is the earlier version. My fleet parts supplier could not get the bushing kit from Hendrickson at that time even though they are a vendor for them (dealer item), aftermarket was also not available as they were out of stock. Find it parts had them at a reasonable price. If you're going to DIY then you will need some specialty tools and set aside a day for this.

11. 401-Alex

401-Alex Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Dealership with the vin

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.