Kingpins

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by RandyLAROSE, Jan 9, 2017.

1. RandyLAROSE

RandyLAROSE Bobtail Member

May 15, 2015
    Hey guys quick question I was having trouble getting the kingpin on the front of my 09 ws low max to take grease I used my air grease gun and it pushed grease out the bottom of the kingpin around a big c clip this was the other day. Today I put a little heat to it I did get the kingpin to take grease but now why is grease coming out where it is. Thanks trying not to replace kingpins till there wore out..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Jack up your axle, to take all the weight off, and try greasegun.
    While it's up - put a bar under tire and see if you have axial play.
    You may be shot already on the bottom, but not the top.
    Especially Curbside king pins from edges of these great roads.
    You sure bottom Fitting is open?
    "Path of least resistance," and all that.
    Change all the grease fittings - and cap them.
    Don't know about C-Clip, thought all were held in w/cross-bolt?
    Post what you find; I'd like to know.

4. RandyLAROSE

May 15, 2015
    Tks for the reply I have jacked it up and checked for play there isn't any I think the grease did take the least resistance path I finally did get grease to the kingpin but the grease comes out by this c clip now I'm not sure what the c clips are for on some kingpins top and bottom there are 3 little bolts holding on a little cover I think in the middle of that is your grease fitting well the star or freightliner if you will use a c clip style. Why it's still pushing out there not sure. I'll keep digging lol thanks

5. Mythandar

Mythandar Bobtail Member

May 18, 2016
    You have a detroit Axle. The king pins are secured with cross bolts but it's the covers for the king pins that are held on with snap rings. On other styles the covers usually have bolts holding them down. beneath the cover is an o-ring, it may have a tear in it allowing the grease to come up around the cover.

6. RandyLAROSE

May 15, 2015
    Good morning thank you very much that's a perfect explanation and exactly what is happening.. I had trouble getting the kingpin to take grease so before I got the grease channel clear it spit out that seal... Can I remove the snap ring and replace the o ring without causing me big grief...

7. Mythandar

Mythandar Bobtail Member

May 18, 2016
    It might cause you a medium amount of grief, but shouldn't be too bad. I'm betting the biggest problem your going to have is that everything was probably painted over at the factory, plus any corrosion that might be present. So getting that snap ring and cover off might be a pain, but it might also be easy.

8. RandyLAROSE

May 15, 2015
    I want to thank you for your info you were bang on this truck has a Mercedes front axle in it and I'm lucky for 8.00 I bought a cover, seal and a new snap ring I think lol picking that up later today and going to change it so thanks again. Apparently there are some axles that western star, Freightliner use that when this happens you have to buy the kingpin kit to fix...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.