KLLM; Back Where I Started

Discussion in 'KLLM' started by Ledbetter, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Just gave em a call rodekrew.

They have a three day orientation right here in Fontucky, then out for six weeks with a trainer at $400 per week. 7 days out earns one day off, although it is *possible* to run through Fontucky during that time out for your 10hr or 34. Lumping is taken care of by them, and he said there was a lot of drop and hook or getting emptied by lumpers, then going to pickup another to deliver elsewhere. Seems like almost a "no touch freight" situation. It is luck of the draw whether or not you get a local trainer who comes back through the Fontucky terminal or get a 48 state runner. Obviously, I'd prefer to get a regional driver who gets through here regularly. Thats why I left TMC. Couldnt stay out for two weeks at a time because of home situation.

Still considering giving them a chance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

Don't hold your breathe for a lot of drop and hook. But yes, the lumpers do take care of everything.

4. Jarhed1964

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks Marie. You drive for KLLM?

5. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

No, my boyfriend does. I man the homefront.

6. rodekrew

rodekrew Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Lancaster,CA
    well I applied & they have started my app so far they are waiting for my trucking school info & my past employment with 1 job hopfully they get it soon cause im going out of my mind waiting "not makin any $$$$$$$" anyway I just wanna get workin with a good company & they sound top notch so we will see :biggrin_2556:

7. Jarhed1964

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Good deal rode! Who knows, if the wind blows in the right direction, I might be joining you.

8. rodekrew

rodekrew Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Lancaster,CA
    Hey Jarhead, I just got the call from KLLM they offered me the spot so its lookin like tuesday I'll be in Fontuky! hope to see you there "if the wind blows rite "

9. Jarhed1964

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, the application is in, the wife is not happy about it. Mission accomplished.

:biggrin_2559:

10. Milliken379

Milliken379 Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Well Jarhed,
    It looks to me you don't plan on being married long. Kllm is a good company but I wouldnt hold my breath about getting home every week sometimes. If you are a newbie you shouldnt expect to get a local or dedicated regional gig just yet. And if your wife not happy about this decision trust me you'll eventually wont be happy (she'll see to it!). I know many guys who wives/girlfriends gave them the "make a choice speech" trucking is a good profession, but for married men tough on the home front. Remember always communicate with your other half. Good luck to you sir.

11. Jarhed1964

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah, I know. I've been away from home for extended periods already. 10 Years in the Marine Corps, been there, done that. Anyway, I'm not going with KLLM. I'm working for a local flatbed company. I have three dedicated routes that I'm going to run. Hemet to Texas, Hemet to Mid-west, or Hemet to Central California. I may end up going to Texas, then to the Midwest, then back to Hemet or something like that. They are a brand new company. Just have to convince them that headache racks are apparently REQUIRED equipment when pulling a flatbed and have them get one installed ASAP.

BTW, there are plenty of regional gigs for newbies out there. KLLM is not the only one. Western 11 is apparently a very popular region to companies out here, including Schneider (wouldnt take me because of a 1/2006 no-damage accident), Weiner (NO WAY), May, and a few others I dont remember at the moment. I'd have to go through my list, but they are there.

Week to 10 days is all I can afford to take at this point because I need to sell a house. Once thats done, 14+ days is ok. I'm not a "lifetime trucker" who will spend the majority of his life in a truck. Thats not for me, or my four year old. I will drive, I will tarp, I will strap, etc, but I will not be out on the road for months at a time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.