KLLM Background Info

Discussion in 'KLLM' started by stocktonhauler, Aug 31, 2008.

1. dbcad7

dbcad7 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Thanks for your replies on KLLM trainers.

School has been going well, almost too well. I know that KLLM requires 160 hours, but at 2 weeks in at the rate I am going, I will have my permit, pretrip, and backup tests done this Friday.. So I'll have 2 weeks to do road training to prepare for test... but the school will let me get the full 160 hours one way or another (videos, more practice etc)... Because I was mechanic way back in my Army days, pretrip is clicking right in my head, and I have no worries for passing that.. backing has it's ups and downs (or is it lefts and rights ?).. Serpentine getting better, Parellel is actually my better skill. For some reason alley dock is the one that screws with me (and that's troubling)., but I am fairly confident all will be ok (at least passable) by Friday.

I have been taking notes to do a write up on the school, but want to get the school done, and the job search, and do a complete "experience"... My plan is to have a few companies lined up and ready for me.. pretty sure Werner would be an easy one, and US Express.. Swift, not even going to apply.... KLLM, FFE, and Shaffer are the ones I really want to get offers from. FFE is possible, but depends on their mood whether or not they'll take someone from Reno (based upon my cousin's expereince who had them lined up, but he took to long to get testing done, and then they said not hiring in this area.).. Shaffer is a hopeful, I'll contact them when I get close to final CDL road test.. KLLM probably has the highest chance for me getting hired of the three, but it sure would be nice to have the dilemma of having to choose.

xllxmrjohnxllx Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

I don't know if taking the truck home is a deal-breaker for you or not, but now that we relocated to Fernley they won't let him take the truck home. And another guy can't take his truck home to Sparks.

4. stocktonhauler

stocktonhauler Medium Load Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Stockton, C
    There is one other gripe that I had with KLLM during the time I was with them. They automatically steered all applicants into the company's goofy per diem plan. It was sold as as "win-win" plan, giving drivers extra cash in their pockets by paying fewer taxes, while also allowing the company to pay fewer "taxes". Drivers who don't do their taxes really like the program, I'm sure. In reality, the net result is to short the regular tax paying driver of a full company contribution for his social security because net salary is reduced. I frankly question the legality of this program because of this weird dodge of employer social security contribution. It may be allowable under the Bush Administration IRS oversight, I don't know. Furthermore, the plan also shorts the driver of a full allowable IRS per diem deduction because minimum weekly gross earning are required to fullfill the per diem program as they concoct it. As I recall, the daily per diem was less than allowed by the IRS anyway. In reality, regardless of whether a driver makes any money or not, the flat rate per diem can be deducted as long as the driver spends the night away from home. Given last weeks collapse of the banking, insurance, and brokerage industries, drivers should now be aware that maximizing Social Security contributions, especially the employer portion, is a good idea. While it may not be sufficient for a complete retirement income, there is no doubt that Social Security provides the best safety net of any retirement income source. When the government fails, all other institutions will have already collapsed, unless perhaps the person is savvy enough to have already invested in government bonds and securities of a more stable country. Good luck finding a country more stable than the USA though (maybe the EU?). Anyway, I was able to visit the personnel office and cancel this silly company dodge, but not without the ladies growling about my complaint. Maybe that's another reason I was inclined to resign in the end. There are plenty of other companies (e.g. Southern Refrigerated) that also employ this company cost saving at the expense of the driver program. May Trucking doesn't have this program, so driver's joining May need to do their own taxes and get the full per diem as I do now.

5. dbcad7

dbcad7 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Reno, NV
    How close do they get them ? Where do they leave their trucks when off for home time ? ... I am ok with leaving the truck at a local yard or truck stop as I am an apartment dweller anyway.. but having to drive from Fontana and back probably would be a deal breaker.

6. leannamarie

They have a drop-yard in Lathrop. Usually when you go back to work you will pick up in Salinas. Their requirement to take the truck home used to be if you lived over 100 miles away you could take it home. Then, they increased it to 150 miles. But I guess they decided that 238 miles was too far away.:biggrin_2552: It's not a big deal for us, but something that you might want to consider. Of course, if you transfer to Western Regional you would be all around this area anyway so it probably wouldn't matter.

7. dbcad7

dbcad7 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Thanks,

I will still talk to them, but that would have to be worked out.. that's 4 hours each way, of home time.. :biggrin_25513:

8. leannamarie

Yes, huge bummer. But our family and friends are still down the hill so we use it as a chance to see them. I foresee it being more of an issue during winter storms.

9. dbcad7

dbcad7 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Problem is for me, most family here.. My strategy for dealing with the storms was going to be to just to stay out till better... but knowing my luck would probably end up with loads going through the passes if I did it.

Friday was a heck of a day... took DMV tests for pretrip and backing, and then permit tests.. all good though, and now its just all about the final road test.

10. leannamarie

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it will be all but impossible to plan your home time around storms. You have to request home time 7 days in advance, and seldom does Mother Nature do what she is supposed to. The commercial DMV here in Reno is so efficient compared to California.

11. dbcad7

dbcad7 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Reno, NV

Yeah, was just thinking that if I had home time planned and something big decided to blow in, would be easier to cancel it and stay out.. who knows.

The commercial DMV is indeed good here.. but they can't take all the credit, the school I am attending has an onsite tester for the DMV. I only have to go the DMV for the written tests (all done now except endorsements), and to turn in my test results once I am finished with the road test, now that the others are out of the way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.