Knee Surgery and Driving??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by HD_Renegade, Jun 15, 2011.

1. HD_Renegade

HD_Renegade Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    Has anyone had knee reconstruction surgery (clutch knee)?? How long before you were able to drive again, and how did it effect the DOT Physical???

thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    12 years ago I tore my ACL, my PCL and a minicus. I was off work for 5 weeks and even though it still gets sore some days I have passed all DOT physicals since. But now I drive an autoshift, happy days.

Lepton1 and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  4. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Not at the same time? You need to get better insurance.

5. HD_Renegade

HD_Renegade Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    Thank you Jumbo for the info. 5 weeks is very quick too. I have torn my ACL and the minicus. Doing very well at this point, and just wondering how others have delt with this too.

Thank you

6. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    as long as you can get the doctors release (your surgeon) then you are good to go.

as long as the DOT doctor can mash your knee with that tiny rubber mallet, and you kick HIM in the jewels....you're good to go....

just from THIS DAY FORWARD, climb into and out of the truck PROPERLY, do not jump down, do not twist your knee on the steps, (like for instance, standing on the steps and reaching over to the glad hands stay straight up right)..

do not become a carpet installer, do not slide into home plate (or any base) when playing baseball, do not go kayaking with out a paddle, do not jump out of an airplane with out a parachute, do not have sex in a dark alley (ok, maybe just once), do not eat pizza in an igloo on the 4th of July weekend....

beside all of these restrictions, you should be good to go.........

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Eagle_Eye

Eagle_Eye Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2010
    ClarksvilleTennesse
    I fell Aug 29th 2011 (ok step broke due to half ### ryder repairs) I tore, ACL,MCL,PCL completely And LCL and some othe CL partially. Also tore my Midiscuss Cart. (Spelling) Anyway 3 surgerys later I am still off and Next chance for return to work is the 23rd. I tried on the 31st to blow out the rehab to get a release instead I made my knee swell up and had to have surgery again the 2nd for a new tear of ACL. This time he Diagnosed me with "Truckers Knee."

I am about to go stark raving Mad sitting around house.

8. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I was signed up for trucking school last year and had to have knee surgery prior. I got my money back prior to starting. It hurt to drive my own vehicle for months to come. I had to drive from Las Vegas to Los Angeles and needed to stop nearly ten times the pressure got to be soo bad. Unless you have time to take off I dont recommend it. I needed it because my knee would not stop swelling up to the point I could no longer bend it.

9. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I am sorry to "hear" about your knee... I know a truck driver who fell down and broke the right knee cap in several places. Had to have some reconstruction and "tie" the pieces together with pins or something (can't remember exactly). After several months the driver went back driving the truck but said the pain was sooooooo awful, they couldn't stand it and the doctor said they would not be able to drive the truck any more.... It has been over a year and six months now and the driver will need more surgery.

About the DOT, if you can pass the physical, that's all that matters.

Take care and best wishes to you.

10. lelou

lelou Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Oh Boy, this answers some questions...
    I'm a trucker wannabe, planning to attend school soon, but was wondering how strong my clutch knee needs to be?

I broke my knee cap in 2 places (like a cross), tore a bunch of ligaments, had surgery last May where they put in screws.

Dr's said it would be at least a year before complete recovery, but I'm anxious to get into the trucking industry. I can drive a standard car w/ some pain (not too bad), but have no idea what the clutch of a truck is like.

I suppose I best get in the big truck first, feel the clutch before I sign any papers.

Wishing all a prompt recovery, and I sure feel your pain.

11. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck "Captain of the Ship"

Apr 7, 2007
    Woodstock, NB, Canada
    I ruptured my left (clutch leg) patellar tendon, medial meniscus, acl, and mcl in 1997 and was off work for 16 months. All 3 were completely torn off the bone. The surgery had to be done in steps. It's still not 100%, and never will be. From time to time, without any rhyme or reason to it, my leg just folds and I go down like a rock.

I've been advised by my doctor to go on permanent partial disability over the years, but I found the restrictions on what I could and could not do were far too limiting.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.