knight and pets?

Discussion in 'Knight' started by camofrawg83, Dec 23, 2010.

1. camofrawg83

camofrawg83 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Dunn, NC
    Does knight have a pet policy? Kinda lookin at them and us xpress.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

For the 5 yrs that I worked for them it was NO PETS! For the company drivers, pets reqd A/C or heat and long idle times as the primary factor. Some pets also caused damage to the inside cab of 'their' trucks. But policy was also carried over to their O/O's due to 'safety concerns'...Knight is NOT pet friendly, and I once heard of a lady O/O who snuck in her old, well-trained dog who was her best friend and considered a 'family member,' and was fired later when discovered...:biggrin_25513:

4. camofrawg83

Jan 8, 2010
    Dunn, NC
    Ouch. Looks like US is looking better. Thanks.

5. OverDrive

The big negative that I heard about USX a couple of years ago was that they charged drivers for any running out-of-route. Including avoiding any bad weather! Knight never did that to me, and I (any many of their drivers) ran OOR often, avoiding I-70 during winter, as well as the L.A. freeways by going north on CA58 and taking the 'back roads' of the high Mojave desert..

Good luck! When it comes to working for any of the national carriers...it's a crap shoot!---pending terminals, terminal mgr, and particularly your DM.
    OD:biggrin_25525:

6. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    You know I can understand if they don't want pets in their equipment but telling an 0/0 no pets, well I'd be taking my truck somewhere else then!

7. OverDrive

Agreed on the damage some pets can do. Many co's will charge an 'un-refundable' pet deposit to the drivers of their trucks for general cleanup, etc. Altho I never understood the O/O restrictions...but with Knight, safety is everything...well, other than delivering on-time freight..:biggrin_25523:

8. camofrawg83

Jan 8, 2010
    Dunn, NC
    We'll I started looking at them when I seen a job posting talking bout home weekends. Any truth? What about pay. I live in nc right off 95 so not sure what term is closest. Thanks for all the info so far.

9. OverDrive

If running western, home time every 7-10 days is a possibility. That is their home area and where they got their start and so have a lot of business, esp. CA. But have heard horror stories from drivers out east about trying to get home..but it's been 3 yrs since I drove for them..??

10. JimDriv3r

JimDriv3r Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Is
    Nothing has changed since you left the company. For some reason if you happen to "get stuck" operating on the east coast and you need to go back home to the west, then it will take awhile to get back west. This is the only company that I've heard of that had issues getting drivers from east to west. I've never had that problem at Werner.

11. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    As far as the OP's question about pets, I've seen a few in Knight trucks. (2 or 3 out of the thousands that I've seen.) Not sure if they were "legal", or not, but one woman I did talk to said she had an OK from them.

Maybe it's on an individual basis?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.