Knight Casual

Discussion in 'Knight' started by xlsdraw, Oct 1, 2012.

1. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Considering the possiblity of switching from Fulltime and the 3 day max hometime to the Casual status. Anybody done Casual with Knight and mind sharing the details. How long do you have to stay out? How long can you take off? Do you get decent miles? I know I won't be eligable for bonuses or benefits. And will have to slip-seat. But right now, more hometime is my priority. I have talked to an in-house recruiter but would like real feedback from anyone who has actually done it. Thx.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xlsdraw

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Got to meet and have a sitdown with my new FM this afternoon. Been running under him for about a month and it looks like he may be a much better fit for me than the first one. The average miles per day are definately up so far. We discussed the prospect of me going Casual status and that will likely happen by the time the snow starts flying in the East. This next approx. 2 week trip out will likely be my last fulltime. Gonna try to do 7 days out and 2 days home if we can swing it. I can burn down my 70 easily in 7 days if he can throw the miles at me.

4. Randokuky

Randokuky Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Denton, Tx
    im doing the 7-10 out and 3-5 days home, i like it i run 2k or little over depending on how long im out but my FM is a boss so i gets the good loads.

5. xlsdraw

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Gonna try it starting Tuesday.

123456 Thanks this.
  6. Son of a Trucker

Son of a Trucker Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Truckstop
    On the 7 to 10 out what is the pay cpm.? Is that basically a regional job?

7. xlsdraw

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Out of my Terminal (Lakeland), they do not offer Regional. Most terminals do tho. From what I understand with Casual, the pay rate is the same as full time. Full time the tractor is assigned equipment and supposedly you are to stay out a minimum of 14 days and can only be home a max of 3 days regardless of how long you stay out. Surrender the truck if you need more than the 3 days off. On Casual, the minimum is 7 days out even tho you can stay out as long as you like. You wanna stay out a month, no problem. But the equipment is not assigned so you slip seat. The advantage is no significant restriction on your hometime. You wanna take a week off you can do it. If you have a spouse like mine who does not do ok with her man gone
    17-21 days straight at a time, supposedly this/Casual should resolve that issue.

8. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

Is 'casual' the new term for 'Express?' Express had to run a min of 7 days for 3 days off max to keep insurance (no perm assigned truck).

'Casual' at that time was working non-specific schedules but w/o insurance, so Knight lost nothing when the casual driver wasnt working. Was the same as 'temp' and fill-in when convenient to the driver...Knight liked the possibility of having a driver more or less in standby to cover drivers quitting or sick for several days....

But it sounds as if Casual might be defined differently these days (?)..

9. xlsdraw

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Lakeland is not like most terminals. No: Regional, Express, Dedicated, Local, or Containers. Just Fulltime or Casual. Supposedly Casual must work atleast 50% of the time according to an orientation driver I spoke to Thursday.

10. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

Hmmm....sounds more like part-time work! if out 5 days, then 5 days off...and covered by insurance?!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.