Knight concern before I head to orientation

Discussion in 'Knight' started by dx7alex, May 1, 2012.

1. dx7alex

dx7alex Bobtail Member

May 1, 2012
    Sacramento, Ca
    So, I was supposed to start with Squire, but earlier today, recruiter called and said, "you will be joining Knight, not Squire because of your recent experience" no biggie there. I have heard these guys will tell you anything to get you in because I assume they get commission. So...here's the deal. I have a pro audio weekend business, mostly only on Saturdays are my venues. I rent PA equipment for DJ's, bands, etc. I told this to the recruiter the first day. He said "that's not a problem, just give us your schedule and we can work around that situation" my simple question is the following...is he being honest? Is that possible?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    were his lips movin ?

4. dx7alex

dx7alex Bobtail Member

May 1, 2012
    Sacramento, Ca
    what do you mean? If he didn't stop talking? yes and no, I mean, he answered all my questions. Will he get his commission if I quit?

5. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    You aren't gonna find an OTR company that will get you home with enough regularity to run a side biz. If you can put side deal on hold, get enough experience to go local, would be better as a long term plan for your side job.

dx7alex Thanks this.
  6. dx7alex

dx7alex Bobtail Member

May 1, 2012
    Sacramento, Ca
    So it's all talk then huh? Too good to be true, I would def put it aside, but the problem is that I have contracts signed already. Would driving a construction truck, like double bottom dump trailer be considered as experience? Because you never have to back up to a dock with those

7. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    it all depends on the terminal you run out of.. some of our terminals have local, and regional positions, others just have OTR/System.. since you're over in Cali i'm sure they have regional and local positions. i know i've never seen a Cali truck over here on the east coast.. well maybe once but that's about it.. i heard they stick mostly to running up I5 and back down..

so much for the experience, i ran flatbed for six months before coming to Knight, only bumped a dock twice. it wasn't hard to figure out the trick to it.. just find a mark on the wall (usually the rubber cushion bumper) and aim for it with the corner of the trailer, and remember the amount of over hang you have on your trailer tandems.

8. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    cuzzin it was trying to imply that if a recruiters lips are moving then they're normally lieing, as in all they do is lie.

9. crankyazz

crankyazz Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Fountain, Co
    no driving a belly dump or anything local will not count. as soon as you try to go OTR they will not count your belly dump experience or any other towards OTR if you wait to long you will have to go to school again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.