Knight Refrigerated?

Discussion in 'Knight' started by Wheat Light, Mar 14, 2009.

1. tdawginahwa

tdawginahwa Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Desert Southwest
    why just out of curiousity, did you have a bad outcome with them?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Read through all the threads on Knight, and you will see what I mean. I did work for them, but I left them to go local back in 2004. Their policies sucked, even back then. You'd get short runs, then have to do local drops before they would get you back on the road. (It was cheaper for them, than to pay their local drivers to do them.) You could literally spend hours and unpaid miles trying to find an empty trailer, then when you did find one, it had to go to the shop before being road worthy.

Shops. I could dedicate a whole thread to just the Phoenix shop alone. But why should I? Read the threads already posted on Knight.

Constantly had to be on the phone to payroll to get paid the right amount.

AKKKKKK, just read the threads on Knight. . .

FWIW, I left them under good circumstances. Gave them two weeks notice and turned my truck in at the specified terminal. Then for the next couple of years or so, I'd get letters, post cards and phone calls from them, wanting me to come back. . .

4. tdawginahwa

tdawginahwa Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Desert Southwest
    right on...my personal experience so far has been positive except the idle time policy...

5. doughboy180

doughboy180 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Spring, TX
    What's the problem with the idle time policy?

6. RizenPhoenix

RizenPhoenix Road Train Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    They expect you to sweat like a fat guy waiting for a donut shop to open. If you don't your truck's top speed gets turned down.

7. doughboy180

Aug 14, 2012
    Spring, TX
    Speed gets turned down? Is that all? do they do anything else?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    HEY NOW! Watch those "fat guy" jokes! I resemble that. . .(and being a retired cop to boot, well, you get the picture!)
    :biggrin_2559:

Isn't that enough? Your speed gets turned down, your paycheck takes a cut.

9. doughboy180

Aug 14, 2012
    Spring, TX
    The question I asked was if they do anything other than turn down your speed when you idle too much. If not, then it's not as big of a deal as it could be and it could be much worse. I have heard of companies doing worse things. Some companies will fire you. Just wondering if cutting your speed is all they do or if there's more.

10. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

When I left 4 yrs ago, High Idle times could affect your yearly Performance Review, and as a result any Pay Increase/mile. A driver had to meet a list of several criteria b4 getting a raise.

11. doughboy180

Aug 14, 2012
    Spring, TX
    Well, for me it's going to be either Knight refrigerated or Shaffer. Haven't heard nearly as much bad stuff about Shaffer. And their starting pay is 0.42 a mile. And they have APUs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.