Knight Transportation Class Action Suit

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by tacc, Aug 2, 2009.

1. rixcamp

rixcamp Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2008
    seligman,az.
    This is a serious reply to a serious situation. A justifiable lawsuit is a good thing. In this manner, we can help keep companies honest, and also deter them from taking advantage of we drivers, and further causing us to go bankrupt at their profit.
    There's another issue that SHOULD be taken up by an attorney, and that is the issue of not getting adequate and proper layover and detention pay.
    I invite everyone to look up on-line, the federal labor laws pertaining to layover and detention pay. Federal law states that we are to get paid minimum wage for every and all layover and detention.
    Not after 48 or 24 hours wait, either. This is no joke.
    This is an area where almost ALL trucking companies break the law.
    I invite an attorney to initiate a class action lawsuit regarding these two matters.

trucker43, Beechvtail and Dr Demented Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rixcamp

rixcamp Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2008
    seligman,az.
    Oops! I meant to say that we are to get paid minimum wage for every HOUR of layover and detention.

trucker43 Thanks this.
  4. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    Please provide a link for these claims.

5. RizenPhoenix

RizenPhoenix Road Train Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    The OT thing would fly for intrastate in cal, but unfortunately cal has a exemption for transportation in it's break rules. Coming originally from Transit busing in CA I'm pretty familiar with it.

6. mathematrucker

mathematrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    Was chatting the other day with an O/O at our company. He told me there's a class action case in the works right now in 17 states, the angle being that it's illegal to charge company drivers any money to drive company trucks. It's the 2.5 cpm the company takes out of our base mileage pay for hazy, Enron/Madoff-sounding reasons.

Beechvtail and trucker43 Thank this.
  7. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    But is that ONLY after you sign the paperwork?

You mean the company per diem plan? Yeah, that's some real BS right there. I mean, be on the company plan and lose even more money. And even how they tell you that they have to do that for the government, that's a flat out mistruth. I believe it's another reason they push the per diem so much.

Crazy theory I've heard: that 2 cents goes right to the temple in SLC.
    More real theory: that 2 cents goes right into someone's pocket.

trucker43 Thanks this.
  8. $1 menu

$1 menu Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Fontana, CA
    The per diem is the tax write off we get for being "truck drivers" at the end of the year. The goverment gives us a write off for each day we are on the road and having extra costs that normal non-traveling workers don't have. It's basically the same as claiming more exemption's on your taxes. It is a huge rip off and I think the recruiters/trainers get a bounus for signing us up for it. I said no to it at orientation, signed a paper saying no, and was still put on it and had to call H.R. to take me off of it.
    Good luck with the lawsuit!

trucker43 Thanks this.
  9. gilbert1

gilbert1 Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2009
    PHILADELPHIA,PA
    i guess that would be funny to you.the color PINK,. send some real information.:biggrin_25513:

10. zentrucking

zentrucking Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Atlanta
    You need to read the FMCSR manual and Federal minimum wage laws ...

As they do not apply to OTR truck drivers. :biggrin_25512:

Hate to be the one to tell ya ...

Not sayin it's right, but that's just the way it is.

trucker43 Thanks this.
  11. gar-rose

gar-rose Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2008
    I hate public restrooms!
    Best post!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.