Knowing what you now know, what would you do differently?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Commuter69, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    It was DOD explosives from KC to Utah. The load paid more but my cut was 67% plus FSC. Loads like this require a team with secret clearances and must be attended 24/7 so it’s not for everyone.

Pacific Islander Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midnightrider909

Oct 26, 2016
    You are a fleet owner. If everyone took my advice you would be out of business. I’m sure all the great folks at the ATA agree with you. If money isn’t what this is all about then what is? None of us would be doing this for free.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Pacific Islander Thanks this.
  4. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    I would have stayed in school like my mama told me. If not I would have avoided contact with my ex, and stayed in the army until retirement. Probably not what you were looking for huh?

tommymonza Thanks this.
  5. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Not ever one is cut out to be a business owner. Not everyone wants the hassles and demands with being one either. Using your reasoning how come your not a nuclear physicist or at least rocket scientist?

Ruthless Thanks this.
  6. Midnightrider909

Oct 26, 2016
    Math disability. I failed Calculus twice. I see your point.

7. Pacific Islander

Pacific Islander Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2015
    I would have wrapped it up for about $0.75 or so. Will end up costing me about $140,000 over an 18 year stretch at this point.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  8. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I would have dated a lot more before getting married.

TruckRunner and tommymonza Thank this.
  9. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    image.jpeg My dad was an entrepreneur from the age of 10 mopping floors at the ice cream shop and soon many other businesses in town than buying a ice cream cart.
    Saved and invested his money flipping tires and cars during the war, bought my grandpa who was a poor school teacher a new Hudson when he was 16 years old.

Never worked for anyone and ended his career as a residential developer and owned several large strip malls towards the end.

My 2 older brothers have always worked for themselves and have done very well ,as have I most of my life .

I have been working for the MAN for the past 6 months for the first time in 30 years.

Thank god they are a small easy going company , but there has still been nit picky stuff that they get on you for that gets under my skin, along with the complete pennies they pay you.

I will take struggling with money and laying under my old truck on the cold wet ground turning a wrench at 2 am so I can move a load in the morning over that BS any day.

I bought my 1st truck last month after researching on this site for 3 years and stopping and looking at every truck that was for sale that fit my criteria.

It's not cherry , but it's solid, got my best friend who is a semi retired accountant setting up the LLC , now if I can just find some insurance to get it home.

Not in a rush to go out on my own ,but my company found out I bought a truck and tried to berate me into quitting last week.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  10. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    I would have kept my international 9400.
    I miss that truck.

fordconvert and tommymonza Thank this.
  11. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I would have stuck with dating married women and become a neuro surgeon just to rattle around in folks noggins

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.