KW 900 86" studio

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TURKER, Mar 13, 2015.

1. TURKER

TURKER Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    I am looking to buy 285" wheel base KW900 and I pull 53' trailer , truck dont have adjusting on the fifth wheel ,any of you have this set up ? I am thinking that it will be too long for legal overall size. Thanks for the advice .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

I run a 389 Pete that has a 285 wheelbase and pull a 53 foot step. With my fifth wheel just behind center I'm 78 feet long. I think you'll be fine.

TURKER Thanks this.
  4. TURKER

TURKER Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Hey Haulhand
    How easy to back in tide places,(turning radius) I just don't know if I am going to regret it later. Do you know maximum length allowed. Thanks

5. Epmtrucks

Epmtrucks Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Are you measuring center of steer to center of tamden to get your wheel base? Rand McNally motor carrier road atlas has a wealth of info on size and weight laws for all the states.

6. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Truth be told you'll probably be fine....But I'm guessin you haven't driven a W9....the turning radius sux....i have a 285wb 379...& I can turn it inside a kw...owned 2w9studios like em both...but my 2gripes were turnin radius&weight...nice ride though.....

TURKER and wore out Thank this.
  7. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

All it is is something else to get used too. Mine isn't the easiest but the trailers I pull are mostly triple axles with the axles all the way at the back. Like ol'hsnd said the w900 turning radius sux bad.

8. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    If you reset the steering stops it will help a lot. Most dealers will only go to factory spec. So you'll have to look around for a place to do it.

FLATBED Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.