KW mud flap issue

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by nikmirbre, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Wow. Really frozen. Worst case will have to cut from the underside. Sucks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    You just need a larger screwdriver. You'll use it again, just buy one.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    If you have a small butane torch, put a little heat on the nut. Just be carful not to blister the paint.
    I would go back with nylock nuts. If they seize up just melt the center out.

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  5. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    Heat would be a big no-no that close to fiberglass.

Hold the nut and turn the screwdriver. You can even purchase a 3/8 drive screwdriver bit for your ratchet to add a little torque.

062 Thanks this.
  6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    You don’t have to get it cherry red.

7. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I would use a small high speed grinder preferably grinding from the inside if possible. A thin disc can cut up thru the bolt and nut both. Its a handy tool to have. Suit yourself but I would use stainless hardware when reinstalling flaps. If you do have to grind on painted side that can be tedious. If you do mark the paint you could cover up marks with a slightly larger washer. (stainless)

8. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I replaced a hood latch that was seized up, but it had a nylock nut. I heated it up until I saw the nylon start to bubble,then it came right off.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  9. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Buy a screwdriver and/or heat it a little bit if you have to give up on the PB Blaster. Those screws use to be crazy expensive at KW. Like 23 bucks each....

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  10. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Sorry those who responded, for some reason it didn't let me know I had a response. I tried and tried.....I used lots n lots of PB blaster, let it sit overnight, I tried a big screwdriver and it just wasn't moving.... so what I did was remove the excess mudflap that was there before and that made things much clearer. I can cut it now but, went to do so and im out of cutting wheels and have to buy some more this weekend. Those screws are like $9 at the KW dealer. I cannot stand being without mudflaps and the service guy at KW says those things are a pain to remove also. Even they have issues with them..... Ill hopefully post a picture of the new flaps ON the truck by the end of this weekend, assuming the bolts come in tomorrow.

Nylock...where can I get those from? Lowes? Home Depot, harbor freight?

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  11. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    If a screwdriver or a puddy knife that has already been mentioned won’t work try finding a washer that is thick enough and clamp it with vise grips. Grind a side of it flat to fit the slot.
    Cutting, drilling or grinding still may be the only way if the threads are welded together with corrosion.
    I have had pretty good luck using these Craftsman gasket scrapers with a cresent for leverage for that kind of thing before.
    But I have done the washer thing in a pinch with some success as well.
    FCAC3F8B-57F9-4FB1-9AC5-CC8BD60D7408.jpeg

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.