lacking power and slightly missing

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Loaderlou, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Loaderlou

Loaderlou Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Hi everyone. Just need some verification on my problem. I have an 03 Pete 6 nz and I’ve been lacking power lately. When I got in yesterday I dropped the primary fuel filter and noticed it was less than half full.truck starts right up, I changed all my lines from and including the diverter valve to the tanks recently. New transfer pump, new check valve, new primer pump, and new vents. Only lines I didn’t change was the line from the diverter valve to the primary filter. If my primary filter is low on fuel I would think it’s draining back to the tanks. Yes, no, anything else I’m missing?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Have you changed the secondary filter? I would do that one also.

BUMBACLADWAR Thanks this.
  4. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Occasionally when you change a Bunch of lines one can leak air in.Not necessarily leak fuel,but suck a little air in just Enough to screw everything up .JMO

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Only time I've typically seen partially full fuel filters is when there was a restriction in the system before the filter.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Yeah sounds like you have a leak somewhere in the system from your tank to your primary. Gonna have to chase that line. If the secondary was half full, your truck wouldn’t be starting without using your manual primer. I don’t suspect you have any issues with your secondary fuel base, primer or check valve. If so, like I said your secondary would be half full and your truck won’t start. So maybe you have a hose fitting loose and it’s allowing the fuel to bleed back to tank

7. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    The little dime sized check valves in the primer pump housing can also somehow flip over and cause problems. Easy to check and fix if this is the case.

wore out and Cam Roberts Thank this.
  8. Loaderlou

Feb 24, 2014
    I’ve been under the truck with a bunch of wrenches and everything seems tight. Was doing a walk around and noticed that the “e” clip on the waste gate connection to the turbo was gone which caused the rod to fall off. This happened to me last year and I put a handful in my tool box, but didn’t think to check the turbo, even though I thought it sounded different. All is good, plenty of power now. Thank you all for your responses. Keep the shinny side up.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  9. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    What about your fuel filter draining?

10. Loaderlou

Feb 24, 2014
    I found it. Same problem I had a while back. The e clip fell off the waste gate rod. No turbo power. Isn’t it amazing what a 3 cent part will do. Thanks guys for your comebacks

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Sounds like Me on my date last week.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.