Lady LTL trucker wanting to make change, need advice

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by jungledrums, Dec 25, 2017.

1. tman78

tman78 Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2014

When you say "Tanker"...does that include "Fuel and Chemicals" (or just Dairy)?

I see a lot of Fuel guys drive at night....is that something you are willing to do?

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Food grade tanker is a definite consideration.
    Also bulk tanker. Or food grade bulk tanker. This is no liquid. No surge. I'm doing it with flour.

jungledrums and tman78 Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Tanker is generalization. When you get into Bulk, fuel etc.

There are also different forms of tanker interiors, some smooth and some with baffles to keep that onery fluid settled.

Some of us prefer not to deal with certain tankers such as gasoline. I grew up watching them cremate a tanker in two locations there about once or twice a year.

jungledrums and tman78 Thank this.
  5. tman78

tman78 Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    That Flour must be some heavy weight to haul Western. Is that what you are hauling to MI, the other day?

6. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'm in the hiring process right now. Hoping to start Jan. 8th.
    I could go to MI? I know I can go to Ohio. But much western. West coast. It's out of Denver. We got other terminals east. Company based out of Iowa.

tman78 Thanks this.
  7. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I work for Brenntag Midsouth and we're hiring all over. We do LTL work as well so it isn't 100% tanker depending on what location you work at. Some locations are warehouse only so they only do LTL that comes to them from bigger production branches.

If you want tanker work then you have to apply at a production facility which if you're in Tennesee it happens to be Chattanooga. They run 90% tankers out of that branch, LOTS of bleach and caustic. Chattanooga is actually looking to hire two drivers last I heard.

So if you want to stay in your part of the country, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Durham, Henderson, Ky, Indianapolis, Orlando, Clearwater, Miami, Savannah, St. Louis and a few others are the branches you'll get tanker work out of when it comes to Brenntag.

These are all local hourly positions but, we have road drivers as well. Road drivers run Mon-Fri, home every weekend and its about 70% van 30% tanker.

This is a solid, stable company but, I would try for Univar, Nexeo, Harcros or Superior first if possible. Brenntag is the biggest chemical distributor in the world but, they have some issues they need to resolve. They're starting to work on them though.

If you have any direct Brenntag questions, feel free to ask.

jungledrums Thanks this.
  8. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Brenntag seems nice, I work across the street and dump loads of def there or pick up loads when they get a rail car. I’d go there if I left my job.

What’s up with jade? I see them more in the Midwest now. Bad ### trucks.

Anybody know about the tanker pay in Vegas? I’m in mn now and have no plans on quitting but I want to move to Vegas in 6 or 7 years. Could I swing at least 25 an hour?

Edit never mind about jade. They are Canadian and after reading I’d never work for them.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  9. SplashDogs

SplashDogs Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2017
    I’ve also been interested in becoming involved with tankers. I’m curious to hear why some of the drivers in your company didn’t enjoy driving them?

jungledrums Thanks this.
  10. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Probably because they require a lot more attention. And the fact that you don't just hook up, check that you have the doors closed and good tires and lights then off you go!
    You have valves, fittings, pumps hoses and other things to check and inspect and you need to know how everything works too.
    A lot of people have a hard time understanding that liquids seek their own level.:D

11. SplashDogs

SplashDogs Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Makes sense! Thanks for the reply :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.