Land star start up ???

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by bertscova, Jun 17, 2019.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    That goes back to what stayinback said about making sure ur using the company for ur own benefit and using the truck to run a business not just a guy that just bought a truck ..i think that is great advice for anybody

clausland and stayinback Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You have it towed. To a shop you want, on your nickel.

Most of the inspection facilities are TA's and Petro's.

There a few full blown shops ( like Burns Brother's in Ripon California ), and that place could tear a truck down to the last lock washer and rebuild it, no problem. They are a 5 star shop.

There are other like Valley Fleet Service in Phoenix where the guy is a full blown crook.

But most are truck stops. And most of the infractions are relatively small. But even a slack adjuster at a truck stop will probably cost you $300 out the door.

There's a good percentage of Landstar drivers that are dumber than sand.

Landstar cares about no one or anything other than Landstar. They care about money. That's it. Period. End of story.

I think there's a fair amount of nepotism, and friends of family, for some higher in the food chain, and I'm certain those members have a truckload of stuff swept under the rug, and find the top of the food chain freight.

As where people like myself or Blair gotta tow the line and earn it.

But that is the game. No one needs to be self deluded. It's far from duckies and bunnies. There's 0 loyalty.

Blair once said, " To what degree of soul crushing does this entail."

That is an summation of many things.

At the same time, I made $120K last year.

Made $3400 this week.

I could always go to work for Schneider and make $50K as a company man, and be somebody's boy.

And as far as agreeing to have the truck inspected, and repaired or towed to a facility of your choice, those are conditions of your contract.
    If you don't accept those conditions, you have no agreement.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  4. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    No.

5. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    I think a very good analogy of Landstar is the movie "The Pursuit of Happiness" with Wil Smith.

He plays a rookie finance manager with a shot at landing a job at Smith Barney.

There's like 200 guys in the room, the head man comes in and says "We are going to hire 1 of you. The sole criteria of that decision is based on who makes the most money in this given time period. I don't care how you do it. I don't care if you steal it. That's the sole criteria, results."

The moral of the story being, some people have the mojo and skill set for this. Some don't.

dunchues Thanks this.
  6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I see clearly Dave.....

Landstar has strength,and wants to "Control" the people that made them strong.

Or in otherwords..... Landstar's philosophy is "Fine,We don't need you, We'll get the freight moved"

Someone should hollar "Teamsters" in their corporate office. lol

7. bobbyhill

bobbyhill Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Left Lane
    So having someone tell me what i can and cant do with my own truck is a skill set? Why even waste the money on buying a truck to be treated like a company driver

Eldiablo Thanks this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    No one tells you what you can do with your truck. You can cover it in leather if you want to. There's no mandatory cameras. Your free to do whatever you want.

But your truck will be up to and touching at all times.

They have the highest safety rating in the entire industry. Period. End of story.

They have protocols in place to keep that rating.

If you want to play by them, welcome aboard. If you don't, Schneider's number is in the jobs section.

People who are self defeated in their own minds probably aren't gonna do well here.

Lots of people ask what I'm looking for in a driver, there are two qualities or traits, that separate the contenders from the pretenders. Typically I can tell in the first 2 messages.

So if you want to drive around with a known issue, and you're too lazy to fix it, because to you it's no biggy, but to DOT it is a violation, this is not the place for you.

Again, I see no place where they actively recruit steering wheel holders. No sign that says "Welcome everyone."

I have a gift for load planning. I've worked hard and separated a mountain of bad agents from the few nuggets of good ones. That helps even more.

"Oh well that's not fair."

Where does it say "Landstar. Where life is fair?"

I've chronicled my adventures on Landstar So Far and How Much Hometime.

I've a standing advice that Landstar is bad, go to Schneider.
    That one sentence separates a truckload of pretenders from contenders.

Shardrk, TomGodin and dwells40 Thank this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Why should someone do that? So the company goes bankrupt?

They don't need you. I'm no different. If someone comes along that will be asset, here's your keys.

If someone is going to be a PIA, I don't need the grief.

TomGodin Thanks this.
  10. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    It is illegal under federal law for O/Os/independent contractors to organize into a bargaining unit(union) so I don't think hearing "Teamsters" would be scare anyone.

Shardrk and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Here's me. Right now. This morning.

20190623_060242.jpg

20190623_060223.jpg

1561297857912-1867385349.jpg

This is the load that made me leave the house. $5.15 on 869 miles.

Full back ground spot check with a Special Agent.

Security that rivals a missile silo at the facility.

The German Shepherds there need their biscuits too, and they don't want them delayed because you're OoS at a scale house with a bad marker light.

10-4?
    Dig it?
    Skin?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.